Backcountry Sierra hot springs?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backcountry Sierra hot springs?

Post by joshuacourter »

jordanhotsprings-2007.jpg
Here is a picture of the Jordan Hot Springs when I visited back in 2008, in case you wanted a visual. Google Earth has some more recent photos. Used to be quite the place prior to its wilderness designation in 1978. My visit to the Jordan Hot Springs can be found here -> Jordan Hot Springs in 2008

A website I run for the Golden Trout Wilderness has trip info and some of the history if you were interested -> Jordan Hot Springs

Thanks to others for sharing the book link. I will have to look into the book more. Be nice to know where some are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I was at Jordan Hotsprings a couple years ago and I don't remember any brush around it like that. Was much more open.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by wanderin.jack »

Kern River hot springs along the High Sierra Trail. About a 3 day walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have been to Jordan hot spring, it was great. I am not really a hot spring enthusiast but I enjoyed it. The area was quite clean. The tubs were lame, but the creek was where is was at. There was a perfect spot in the creek, chest high (in November) and natural not some dug out muddy tub.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Blayney has 3 pools that I know of. You probably went to one of the smaller ones because the main pool most people go to can fit a dozen people at least.
The main spring (public) is just beyond the fence. There are at least a half dozen more (all on MTR property, some the size of a barrel) that are between the public spring and the river. One of the nicest features (IMO) of this location is Warm Lake, a small lake thermally heated to a temp slightly warmer than the river or average tarn just on the other side of the bushes (20 yards away?) from the public spring. Good rock jumping (Ward Mtn side), and decent fishing, too.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

maiathebee wrote:I love a good soak in a hot spring after a long day on the trail! So far I have only managed to do this in the backcountry once (Kern Hot Springs). I have heard rumors and rumblings about various other hot springs, but I couldn't find much by searching this forum. If anyone has any advice or specific info on the locations of some, I'd be really interested. If you PM me hot spring locations, I'll mail you homemade strawberry jam! I promise not to tell anyone where they are ;)
Our High Sierra Map has a Hot Spring layer. Be sure to check that out.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix