5-6 Day Backpacking Trip Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RaySwim22
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 5-6 Day Backpacking Trip Suggestions

Post by RaySwim22 »

Tom_H wrote:You said you wanted to avoid snow. Hiking on packed snow is not bad IF you have the right gear and training. You might want to take an opportunity this winter to get some training in the use of ice axes, crampons, and snowshoes. The biggest problem I see is not knowing how much snow we will get this winter. The past two winters provided a dearth of snow-virtually none, and most places were snow free by the beginning of June. In mid-July of 2011 at an elevation of only 8000' I hiked on continual snowpack that was still 6-8' deep and even crossed drifts around 35' deep. The largest El Niño ever recorded is now providing good precipitation. There is also another immense warm water area being referred to as the "Blob" and climatologists do not know how the two may interact to bring even more or less precipitation. We also could get what is called a Pineapple Express, a string of heavy storms that sometimes bring warm rain which can melt the snowpack.

The jist of all this is that it is impossible at this point to know how much snow we will get and how long it will take for it to melt. Obviously, some places melt earlier than others. If we have a heavy winter, you may want to wait until August. I have no idea whether your occupations allow the flexibility to wait until late spring to select your time off or not. If so, it would be very advantageous to wait until then to set the date and location. If you have to decide now and set an early date, you need to be prepared to go somewhere at lower elevation. OTOH, you could go ahead and find some place near you (I don't believe you said where you are from) and get some training with snowshoes, crampons, and ice axes. You should also know that while your background in scouts (I was in scouts too) will be valuable in many ways, it will not prepare you for high altitude. Unless you are already acclimated to high altitude or are an accomplished distance runner, you could experience mountain sickness or edema of the lungs, cerebrum, or retinas, particularly if you go to high elevation destinations like Mt. Whitney.

Please continue to post here as the winter goes on and we can let you know what the snow pack is looking like. Good luck with your planning.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great advice. My buddy and I both have some flexibility with when we can go so with what alot of what people say, I think August may be a good bet for us. We both have limitted snow experience in climbing and for now I'd rather avoid it. I think we will look at the snow melt in may or so and make a final decision then.

I am a former college distance swimmer and still train regularly. I also am a competitive cyclist. I know both my friend and I would need to do some prep work through the spring to be ready for climbs at altitude. I figure we plan a hike for 4 or 5 days, but have that 6th day there if we decide to take it easy for a day or two.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
RaySwim22
Topix Novice

Post by RaySwim22 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Tom brings up a good point. You need to have a "Plan B'" or two. Although lower in elevation, the northern Sierra generally gets more snow and it melts off slower than the southern Sierra, particularly the east side. 2011 was an unusually high snow pack (I think it was about 200%). This year does not, so far, look to be as much. I would guess more like normal to a bit more. I would certainly try to avoid June or even earlier than mid-July if you wish to avoid snow. Ice axe and self-arrest skills would be quite difficult to sufficiently learn over the winter if your intent is to actually self-arrest with a pack on your back. Better to invest in good trekking poles and microspikes which would get you over most low-angle snow. By summer snow is more likely to be "Sierra Cement" than soft and snowshoes are seldom needed. A better strategy is to travel early in the day before the snow becomes soggy. A bigger problem may be finding the trail as parts are covered in snow. The PCT hikers hit the Sierra in June and by July they have worn a good path through snow on the PCT. A GPS really helps when trails get snow covered. Another concern in a high snow year is high river levels. Try to plan trips where there are bridges that cross major creeks.

Two people should not have great difficulty in getting a first-come permit. Reserve a permit for your "wish trip" and then have some planned alternatives if snow prevents you from doing what you had permitted. Check on snowmelt again in May, and perhaps revise your plans and get a permit for a different trip if needed. Better yet, simply go in August. It is OK to get a reserved permit for several trips and only use one. Just call and cancel permits that you will not use. Your permit automatically is void if you do not pick them up by 11AM (unless you make arrangements to pick them up late).

Good data sites are: CDEC (California data exchange)- google into it and select "snow". It has all the snow courses and data.

Another good source is the PCT journals. These guys get into the mountains early and say quite a bit about snow conditions.

Altitude problems can be largely mitigated if you take it easy the first few days, drink lots of fluids, and never push it to the point of becoming out of breath. The west side approaches are especially gentle with the elevation gain. The east side trails often go up 6000+ feet the first day! Most people are not seriously impacted by altitude - they just lose their apatite and get a headache the first few days. Be aware of altitude issues, but I would not avoid high altitudes. Being in good physical condition does help. And keep pack weights down. No need for 60 pound packs- aim for 30-35 pounds.
Thanks for all the info. We do have a trail GPS so that would be coming along no matter what. Like I said in my response to Tom, I think we would do ok with the altitude if we take our time and have some plans. We plan to have a plan to exit early if its too much and also an extra day or so if we need to rest for one of the days.

Thanks again for all the help.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Ice axe and self-arrest skills would be quite difficult to sufficiently learn over the winter if your intent is to actually self-arrest with a pack on your back.
I somehow get the impression they may be from the east coast, don't know for sure. I have hiked on the AT in NC and VA in January on snow that was more densely packed than Sierra Cement is in July. In fact it had consolidated into ice. (I was also surprised when the temp. plunged to -40F when we were camped on the top of Roan Mountain NC at 6,000'.) Anyway, there are places in the east where you can learn crampon, ice cleat, and self arrest skills with ice axe and pack during winter. Glissading would be a different story, more like downhill ice skating. And actual skiing back there.....absolutely hate it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some hikers tend to be more interested in moving as far along their trail routes as possible each day regardless of where they end up. Wherever they stop and camp, they tend to stay near camp vegging without further activities so if it is only early afternoon they may become bored. Others are more interesting in ending up in most scenic locations even if that means they might stop at some places mid day. And they might be fishermen, peak baggers, or photographers interested in an activity.

From the Onion Valley trailhead I would expect given your fitness, you could easily get over Kearsarge Pass and ramble down to Vidette Meadow about 10 miles. That is down in a deep forested canyon with good campsites abundant along the big through trails and a favorite area of black bears. Views down in such canyons tend to be limited. If your first day has thunderstorms, this would be a more pleasant goal than up near the crest.

The most scenic place to stop and camp with outstanding sunset light would be near the outlet of Kearsarge Lake 3321 that is at the cross hairs of this online map:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.76650,-118.38995&z=15&t=T

The Kearsarge Pinnacles and University Peak are spectacular from that area. Then again in the morning the former is wonderful reflecting in the usually calm of early mornings. Those lakes also have an abundance of pan sized eastern brook trout. There is also some value in not making the first day too stressful especially since your bodies will be at these high elevations for the first time that may require some acclimation. Most groups camp close to the trail at the second lake to the northeast with the location I noted more secluded with better views.

From the noted 3321 spot one can simply descend along the stream and catch the trail above spectacular Bullfrog Lake as the terrain is quite open. Then if hiking from mid morning the second day one will probably want a goal of either ending up on either side of Forester Pass. Neither with interesting sunset light. The south side is more austere with several large no name lakes. In the Sierra mornings are often calm till about 10am then breezes start and by afternoon it can be windy and stay so till evening. The winds go up canyons during the day and the broad south side plane below Forester is a natural wind tunnel. Most thru trail hikers tend to camp right along side trails. The little pond at these cross hairs is far enough off the trail that it is likely to be secluded. It is 9 or 10 miles along at the highest timberline with anything higher barren turf, rock, and snow landscapes. Fine views of Mt Stanford early morning.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.71734,-118.36881&z=15&t=T

Stopping north of the pass you could get on the trail early the third day and quickly get over Forester Pass when fresh. From there the trail is very easy low gradient downhill walking. For a destination another 9 or 10 miles along will suggest camping near the small pond southwest of Tawny Point that is called Bighorn Plateau.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.61883,-118.38163&z=14&t=T

Most groups will continue down into the mosquitoey meadows along Wrights Creek where views are somewhat limited though has abundant pan sized stream trout. For a late afternoon activity, one might make the easy climb northeast up to Tawny Point or wander off southwest to the end of the plateau that has spectacular foxtail pines to frame Mt Whitney zone peaks near sunset. And in the morning are more fine views west to the Great Western Divide peaks.

Then on day 4 reaching Guitar Lake and Trail Crest is rather straightforward through superb timberline scenery leaving a final day of downhill to the Whitney Trailhead.

The most ideal dates for the High Sierra most years tend to be mid July through early August. The annual mosquito plague usually peaks late June to early July and then quickly wanes except in swampy meadow areas. Popular trail crossing shady north facing snowy areas by early July usually have well pounded boot paths through without a need for special gear.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_C ... les-0.html
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

You might find a hike to your liking if you look through the more than 50 trip reports at: www.sierrahiker.com
RaySwim22
Topix Novice

Post by RaySwim22 »

So I wanted to thank everyone for the input. What we decided on was a 5 to 6 day trip. Leaving out of Roads End Ranger Station in Sequoia and Kings Canyon and finishing at Whitney Portal. We already have the permit and flights booked.

Now we have run into another issue. Our friend that lives out there and is willing to drive just took a job in Thailand. He now will not be around. Our entry date is Wednesday August 22nd and plan on exiting on Sunday the 21st. We were flying into and out of LAX since our friend lives in Bakersfield. We were obviously paying him for all the help. Any ideas? We could rent a car, but still need a drop off and pick up. Any help would be appreciated. All may not be lost yet as we still have other friends out there.

Thanks for all the help.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Off the top of my head... is there a way to bump the flight out on either end of the trip to allow for public transportation? Taking Amtrak to Visalia and riding the shuttle into the park? Because that's possible.

Craigslist? Uber?
RaySwim22
Topix Novice

Post by RaySwim22 »

AlmostThere wrote:Off the top of my head... is there a way to bump the flight out on either end of the trip to allow for public transportation? Taking Amtrak to Visalia and riding the shuttle into the park? Because that's possible.

Craigslist? Uber?
We actually got it all figured out. We have rides from Bakersfield to our trail head and exit. We will just be renting a car for the week to come up from LAX and to return to LA (Where we will be visiting a family friend). I think we are all set for this trip. Thank you for all the ideas and help.