2015 Trip Reports-mostly in John Muir Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2015 Trip Reports-mostly in John Muir Wilderness

Post by sekihiker »

I just uploaded a set of trip reports for 2015 visits mostly in the John Muir Wilderness to Crown Ridge, Upper and Lower Box watershed, Old Pipe Lake, Geraldine Lakes, Blackcap Basin, Maxson Lake and more. Please visit: http://www.sierrahiker.com/Trips2015/index.html
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2015 Trip Reports-mostly in John Muir Wilderness

Post by oldranger »

Bill

Thanks for the TRs. I opened the HST map and followed every step!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

oldranger wrote:Bill

Thanks for the TRs. I opened the HST map and followed every step!

Mike
Glad you enjoyed them, Mike. I know you are familiar with some, if not all of those areas.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great reports, Bill! Your botanical mission adds an extra dimension of enjoyment and interest to these trips...and it doesn't hurt that L. Leeana happens to be one of my favorite wildflowers.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

TehipiteTom wrote:Great reports, Bill! Your botanical mission adds an extra dimension of enjoyment and interest to these trips...and it doesn't hurt that L. Leeana happens to be one of my favorite wildflowers.
Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I was a little worried that the botany might be distracting. But, I figured that a couple of places I visited, like Maxson and Old Pipe Lakes, might make up for it.

One of the cool things about the daily observation reports on iNaturalist (e.g., http://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/sekihiker/2015/7/24) is that you can click on "Map" to the right of "Grid" and "List" and see where I made that day's observations and, therefore, the route I took.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

LOVE your website, already have it bookmarked. Reading some of your other reports in the area, it seems like difficulty navigating and deteriorated trails are to be expected in the locale. I experienced it firsthand trying to make it to Spanish lakes July 5th.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

zacjust32 wrote:LOVE your website, already have it bookmarked. Reading some of your other reports in the area, it seems like difficulty navigating and deteriorated trails are to be expected in the locale. I experienced it firsthand trying to make it to Spanish lakes July 5th.
Glad you are enjoying the website, zacjust32.

I wonder what the Crown Valley Trail will look like after the Rough Fire? It looks like they ran a dozer line several miles up the trail from the Crown Valley trail head. Also, it looks like fire burned from the Crown Valley trail toward Spanish and Geraldine Lakes. I hope it cleared out a lot of the dead wood that was blocking the trail. I can't wait to get in there next summer.
Bill
BA Geology '73, Fresno State, Go Dogs!