Discussing Date of Exit and Cut-off Times

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Discussing Date of Exit and Cut-off Times

Post by FeetFirst »

@Maveric, Good reminder-thanks. The recent examples really drive it home.

Personally, I'm an over planner so it's part of my MO to hand my wife a map, itinerary, and time to call if unheard from. SOP is 24 hours from planned exit before she's to call authorities for solo trips and 48-36 hours for trips w/ others (route dependent). Honestly, no real logic behind the time tables given; they just seem prudent. Thus, I'm curious what others have to say especially from people who have been in the uncomfortable situation of knowing that home is calling for help even though you're fine, just late to call for whatever reason. Likewise, if anyone has been in real trouble knowing that no one is calling/looking for another couple of days, I'd love to hear their stories as well. In short, I'm trying to determine if my timetables are reasonable. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by FeetFirst on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

maverick wrote:It is extremely important to make sure that you discuss your date of exit, and just as important, your cut-off time . This information needs to be passed on to a contact person, not only in the case of backpackers, but also day hikers, climbers, fishing persons, or mountain bikers alike. Do you have a cut-off time discussed with your contact person?
SSSdave wrote: At the other extreme are single persons without dependents, significant others...the solo thru trail backpacker out for weeks. I'm one of those people and have been living on that dangerous edge for decades much like our ancestral hunters that wandered off for weeks during days when communication was nada. If I ever become missing it is likely going to be a recovery situation.

Sorry Mav, on this one, respectfully have to disagree (and for a while now, have held my tongue too.) What you demand is not always possible, and even if it were, really only benefits others - those at home. What if there is no one at home?

There are inherent risks...accepted risks in backpacking, especially with extended X-country routes. Some of us go out solo regularly, with just a general hiking agenda, not planning any concrete "exit" plans or knowing for how long out...(eg: Rogue, SSS Dave, me?). For many of us old-timers, trail agendas are always subject to change, chit happens. Often in the past, have been known to alter my plans on the fly or, if encountering inclement conditions, just hunkering down and waiting things out. If solo, no car (YARTS transportation), out on a 10 day adventure, and something serious happened on the third day, how does organizing a search on the 12th day help me out, especially if you have no idea where to look?

While much admiration here for your generous "give the the family closure" attitude, for some of us, this is inane. For one thing (probably in the minority here), would rather not put anyone else in peril by some ad-hoc group searching the bergschrund and crevasse for my remains - especially one organized years later. Secondly, (not having a death wish but), knowing that a few seasons of Sierra will soon completely reclaim my ashes anyway, I would rather just be remembered (fondly?), and be left alone. Those that care will know where my life ended...my choice - Sierra. Lastly, when did we become such Puss-ies that we require any such crutch? I leave no note nor carry a Spot-type device. If not serious, will eventually work my way out. If serious injury, probably will be long dead before any help arrives anyway.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

FeetFirst wrote:@Maveric, Good reminder-thanks. The recent examples really drive it home.
Actually the examples amount to straw men in terms of the OP's argument. Both Matthew Greene and Michael Meyers were climbers on day hikes. All this fretting about exit dates is irrelevant in their cases. And as far as Meyers is concerned, he could have been on his phone to law enforcement recounting every step of his route and it would have made no difference. He was swept away by an avalanche and buried. No one could have reached him in time to save him.

As far as the larger issues are concerned, I wholeheartedly concur with markskor.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Two things not mentioned.

Insurance companies want proof of death. Having closure is more than an emotional need. SAR teams do not see such things as irrelevant -- trainings are sometimes continuing searches because we know that sometimes, evidence is found years later. My former SAR team recovered remains that were several years old, not because it was trivial, but because that is what SAR does -- we bring people home.

Communication of all aspects of any trip, day or otherwise, is always going to be relevant. I received a frantic phone call one evening from a friend who knew I was SAR, begging for advice. Mom of an adult 20something son in tears because her son and his girlfriend had not come home or made contact the evening after a day hike. I gave her all the standard advice including phone numbers. She called a bit later to tell me (embarrassed) that she had misunderstood them -- they were going hiking the following day. They'd been at the mall, at the girlfriend's house, at a movie, and not hiking at all....
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WarrenFork wrote:
All this fretting about exit dates is irrelevant in their cases. And as far as Meyers is concerned, he could have been on his phone to law enforcement recounting every step of his route and it would have made no difference. He was swept away by an avalanche and buried. No one could have reached him in time to save him.
The day hike, and climb was addressed in the OP, and it is true that in the Meyers case it would not have made a difference, but if someone sustained an injury from which they could survive from, for at least a relatively short time, then the 12 day or even a 6 day delay becomes a major issue, maybe not in your case, but maybe to others who may want a chance at survival.

Mark wrote:
Sorry Mav, on this one, respectfully have to disagree (and for a while now, have held my tongue too.) What you demand is not always possible, and even if it were, really only benefits others - those at home. What if there is no one at home?
I know Mark how you feel about this issue. :)

Yes it does benefit those at home too, a major benefit not a crutch, because if their is no body, their is no closure, period. Ask the Green Family, or any other person who's loved one perished in the backcountry and there was no body found, whether they would prefer to have one or not?

Their is always a friend who can be a designated contact, if one wants to be found, but if a person excepts the dangers, and has no family who requires ones body for closure, or you do not have a wife and kids who could benefit from the insurance money, then sure let the Sierra claim you, if that is your desire Mark, you do not get any argument from me on this point.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

maverick wrote:you do not have a wife and kids who could benefit from the insurance money, then sure let the Sierra claim you, if that is your desire Mark, you do not get any argument from me on this point.

Takes a lot of guts to come to a decision like that Mark, and I respect that. It should be mentioned that your feeling is probably the exception, not the norm. I would still encourage people to have a backup plan, especially those not as experienced. I think Mav's directing this thread towards newbies who don't automatically think about stuff like this and aren't as prepared as the more experienced community here, and for that reason I say highly encourage them to alert friends and relatives. You may be prepared for an unfortunate event, but many aren't, and it's those I'm most concerned about.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I agree with most of what mark said. I carry a spot locator because my wife insists not a safety device. I think both of Mav searches are ok because they supported the family's desires. But like Mark, as I've stated many times, if I disappear let me be! My family understands this and there are no insurance or other monetary concerns. Would I use the spot if capable and seriously injured, yep--I've got it so I'd use it but I'd much prefer not to carry the extra few ounces or have to send out an ok message every evening which is more than a little annoying. But a happy wife ….

As for when does she call out for help? 2 days late. This not my choice but hers. (go figure why she wants me back?) But to call it off if it extends past reasonable time for survival.

It will be interesting next Summer when she is off on the Wonderland Trail in Washington and I am wandering around off trail in the Sierra or White Clouds.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Zacjust32 wrote:
I think Mav's directing this thread towards newbies who don't automatically think about stuff like this and aren't as prepared as the more experienced community here, and for that reason I say highly encourage them to alert friends and relatives. You may be prepared for an unfortunate event, but many aren't, and it's those I'm most concerned about.
It addresses newbies and experienced alike, newbies may not understand or are naive to the dangerous, the experienced may believe they are invincible and can cheat death.

- Are we morally obligated to make the best effort to get out of the backcountry, and back to our spouses, kids, and family members?

- Would they consider us free spirited or selfish, if we did not make an effort?

- Do we have any financial responsibility to ensure, that our spouses and kids are taken care of if something happens to us while in the wild?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mike wrote:
But like Mark, as I've stated many times, if I disappear let me be! My family understands this and there are no insurance or other monetary concerns. Would I use the spot if capable and seriously injured, yep--I've got it so I'd use it but I'd much prefer not to carry the extra few ounces or have to send out an ok message every evening which is more than a little annoying. But a happy wife ….
Yes, remember you stating this previously.
In no way am I trying to change your mind in your beliefs Mike, they are yours, and you are of course entitled to them. With that said, it is proven that there is no closure without a body, and as humans we cannot start the grieving process without closure.

kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I am drawn by the spiritual/aesthetic attractiveness of the Sierra, I am not driven there by loathing of civilization. So I have a lot to live for, including the hope of returning many more times to the Sierra. So if I had some sort of serious incident, I would really like to be rescued!

However, if I died in the mountains I'm not sure finding my body would matter for the reasons you might think, but it might for different reasons. Neither I nor my family would be interested in retrieving a body for a ritualized ceremony. My family has always cremated and scattered ashes, never had open viewings, holds memorials with no body present, etc. But finding the body can help to answer questions. What happened at the end of their loved one's life? There have been quite a number of cases, for example, when people who die in the wilderness have time to write messages to their family, or photographs are found in the camera. Finding the body may find answers.

If anyone wants to know something about how finding a body can help bring closure to some families, please read one of these articles, about a man from my home town:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7002 ... tml?pg=all

http://www.backpacker.com/trips/wyoming ... ner-story/

PS I suppose the Mike Turner example is probably the most classic case to illustrate why detailed itineraries, firm exit dates, personal locators, etc. are important, although that is not why I raised his case. I was thinking of the comfort for his family of having that remarkable journal, the photographs in his camera, and having the opportunity to pack in and hold a memorial for him at the lovely lake where he died. All of that as opposed to a lifetime of not knowing quite what happened.