Taboose Pass ~ October 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass ~ October 2015

Post by sekihiker »

Enjoyed the trip report. I've been through Upper Basin many times but never bothered to explore it. Looks like you found enough attractions to make it a destination.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

very cool trip. This is the kind of thing I dream of doing one of these days when I move to CA. Until then, I am limited to longer trips to make the cross continent journey worth my while. The Taboose region is also one of those special places I keep coming back to - now for over 25 years. Places we visit become part of us - memories at creek crossings and spots that have only meaning to you because something you remember from a good day many years back happened at a spot you recognize.

I sooo need to get out there next summer. Now at 16+ months Sierra withdrawal :paranoid:
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Places we visit become part of us - memories at creek crossings and spots that have only meaning to you because something you remember from a good day many years back happened at a spot you recognize.

I sooo need to get out there next summer. Now at 16+ months Sierra withdrawal :paranoid:

I feel the same about Sierra places that I love and go back to.

I moved to Arizona from Oregon this past spring. I considered places closer to the Sierra but at least for now decided against them for various reasons (too urban or too isolated/costly, too cold/snowy in winter). I tell my hiker friends I finally made it to the eastern Sierra.... :lol:

I'm having withdrawals as well.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Yesterday, I acted to address my withdrawal symptoms - I requested 5 weeks vacation from late June through July 2016, giving my new department manager a nice puzzle to solve how to cover my stuff while I am sipping water from crystal clear Sierra streams outside of cell phone range :unibrow: . In a few days I will know if we can get started with the route and logistics planning.

We'll definitely be coming through the Taboose region, and if our current plan of a slightly modified JMT yo-yo route is what we end up doing, we'll be on that area twice during those weeks.