TR-TIL 10.10-10.12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
starankle hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR-TIL 10.10-10.12

Post by starankle hiker »

First trail report here so be easy on me. After 35 years since my last backpack trip my wife and I started backpacking this summer. So we drive up to Lone Pine and get our permits for the weekend, next stop was Agnew Meadow. As we are going up the high trail to TIL. Get up there just before dark drive around Agnew area looking for a spot to camp near the trail head, no where to camp at the trail head area so we drive down the road to find a place to camp overnight. Well all the campgrounds were closed for winter, didn't go all the way to Reds. Drove back to Agnew and went to the pack station area (witch was also closed for winter), there was a guy with a travel trailer parked close by. So my wife asked him if it would be ok to pitch our tent where we parked about 300 yds from him. He said sure he was waiting for someone to resupply hiking down the PCT expecting the Tuesday.

A few shots from the high trail

We arrived at TIL, a few shots from our camp.

My tent poles fell off my pack on the high trail, so we cowboy camped that night, the weather all weekend was incredible.

Next morning we planed on hiking around from the north shore to the west end then over the pass to Garnet. Good morning sunshine.

Going over from TIL was real easy.

Coming down the Garnet side was a little difficult with our four legged friend.

Garnet was beautiful and we didn't see another person all day. We hiked around the south side over to the JMT.

She see's fish.
Last edited by starankle hiker on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR-TIL 10.10-10.12

Post by rlown »

you can delete the img and /img around the others. give it a try as the pics aren't showing, unless you click directly on the link in between. how old is your 4 legged friend?
starankle hiker
Topix Novice

Well that didn't work to good, how do you get the photo's to appear? I tried following the how to post photo's page.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

starankle hiker wrote:Well that didn't work to good, how do you get the photo's to appear? I tried following the how to post photo's page.
clicked on the link in between. the img and /img aren't needed i think, as you already have a live link in the middle of that.

example:
Garnet was beautiful and we didn't see another person all day. We hiked around the south side over to the JMT.

[img][IMG]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i41 ... lmjp1q.jpg[/img][/img]

She see's fish.
[img][IMG]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i41 ... zi6eyl.jpg[/img][/img]
remove one or two and I'll let you know.
starankle hiker
Topix Novice

rlown wrote:you can delete the img and /img around the others. give it a try as the pics aren't showing, unless you click directly on the link in between. how old is your 4 legged friend?
Think I got it Thanks :thumbsup:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

all the pics show now!!! nice.. now how old is she (the dog).
starankle hiker
Topix Novice

So anyway we made our way around the south side of garnet, took a little bit of navigation but we finally made it to the JMT.

Started up towards the JMT

Was getting a little late and we were getting tiered, we were at the JMT and the juntion for Ediza. I said to my wife lets head up the trail and see how far we get we can always camp off trail some where and go up to the lake in the morning. We split a snickers bar and headed up the trail, the snickers must have given us a boost. We made it to the lake. On our way up we ran into a SAR member coming down the trail, he was out searching for Mathew.

The SAR member told us if we stayed to the right and crossed the boulder field we would get to the good spots quicker. We started across the boulders and I said to my wife its getting late and the dog has had enough boulders for the day. So we turned around and found a nice spot up on the hill over looking the lake.

I jerry rigged the tent with some ropes for the night, wife felt better being inside.

View from camp in the morning.

Time to head back to the trail head. Good bye Ediza will be back.

A few shots from our hike out.

On our way out I said to my wife lets go by the high trail trail head just maybe someone picked up our tent poles and brought them down. Just icing on a fabulous weekend.

My Golden's name is Peaches she's 9.

giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

What a nice return to backpacking for you and your wife. Sweet report.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Having done almost that identical trip last summer with my daughter, I recognized practically every picture and your exact campsite at Thousand Island Lake! Lovely photographs--it was especially nice to see the fall colors. And how wonderful that the weather cooperated so perfectly for you, especially without your tent poles!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Nice trip! Isn't it great in the fall with almost no one around?