TR-TIL 10.10-10.12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
starankle hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR-TIL 10.10-10.12

Post by starankle hiker »

kpeter wrote:Having done almost that identical trip last summer with my daughter, I recognized practically every picture and your exact campsite at Thousand Island Lake! Lovely photographs--it was especially nice to see the fall colors. And how wonderful that the weather cooperated so perfectly for you, especially without your tent poles!
Yes we picked a good weekend to drop the tent poles. The low was 41 deg. at TIL, and a little cooler at Ediza 33 deg. The stars were incredible. Funny thing is I woke up at 2am and said to my wife I know when the pole fell off my pack. Remember when I asked if you were ok, I herd a louder than normal metallic sound, I thought she slipped and saved her self with her trekking pole, and she thought it was my trekking pole. That's when it happened. If I only would have turned around. We asked some other hikers if they came up the high trail and saw the poles, everyone said no. Then Sunday evening we were sitting on those logs at the JMT and Ediza lake trail and a young couple had come down the JMT, we were talking to them and I asked "hey did you come in the high trail, they said yes, I asked did you see any poles, they said yes we saw them, somebody prop them up on a rock about midway to TIL. I thought they were history.
starankle hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR-TIL 10.10-10.12

Post by starankle hiker »

Ikan Mas wrote:Nice trip! Isn't it great in the fall with almost no one around?
Yes it is!