Looking for suggestions for two 5-days trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Norbert
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Looking for suggestions for two 5-days trips

Post by Norbert »

Dear All,
my wife and I have already started to plan our next trip the Sierra in 2016 and are looking for suggestions for 5-days trips. Due to the fact that we are coming from Germany I'm starting planning that early.
We have finished the John Muir Trail in 2014 and, furthermore, Evolution Loop two times with going in and out over Col Lamarck and Rae Lakes Look also recently. We would describe ourselves as experienced hikers (Level 4) and are comfortable up to class 3. We are usually hiking for 5 to 7 hours a day (only hiking time) with 800 to 1200 m in elevation.
We are looking for lakes, mountains, spectacular scenery and some solitude. Loop trips are preferred but hitchhiking or using two vehicles is also possible. Start will be at the end of August/beginning of September. Besides trail hiking we also love x-xountry. We are aiming for two 5-days trips (four nights) in different parts of the Sierra.
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Thanks
Norbert
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Looking for suggestions for two 5-days trips

Post by rlown »

North Lake to Humphreys basin, over Puppet pass into French basin and then down Pine Creek would be one option. Or you could modify that to go up into Granite park, but it adds a few days.

Desolation is good for 5 day trips as well, as is Emigrant Wilderness.

Another trip could be in Yosemite up Rafferty Creek out of Tuolumne and over Vogelsang down towards the Yosemite Valley either on the high trail or down the Merced river. So many options.

Welcome to the HST!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Where are you flying to? Is your schedule tight or do you have enough time (or are agreeable to) doing each trip from trailheads that require a day or more of driving between? Or do you want both trips to be relatively close to avoid long drives?

The Great Western Divide is something you do not see on the JMT, as is Northern Yosemite, Emigrant and Desolation. One trip south of the JMT (somewhere on the GWD- perhaps something from Mineral King) and the other trip north is ideal, but would require an entire day or more drive between them. Cottonwood Lakes and Miter Basin and Crabtree Lake are all south of the JMT and very spectacular.

Gardiner Basin-60 Lakes Basin from Onion Meadow via Kearsarge Pass is a great loop.

Desolation Wilderness is heavily used, so if you are looking for a lot of solitude, I would not go there. However it is very nice if you do not mind sharing with others.

There are a lot of great 5 day (or so) trips described here as trip reports. Just spend a few days looking through these and I am sure you will find just what you are looking for.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings Norbert

I believe the best source of information for planning a hike in the Sierra Nevada comes from two books: "Sierra North" and "Sierra South". They give you information about trails you might not have considered, which can help get away from the crowds. And they provide you with a good idea of what you can expect on the trail, elevation, campsites, etc. Cross country routes are also included. I've used these many times for at least the basic outline of a trip, and then add my own variations. Sometimes I tear out the specific pages and take them on the trip. Along with map and compass the information is often useful.

If you want to get further off the beaten track, "The High Sierra: Peaks, Passes and Trails" goes into much more depth. I noticed all three are on Amazon for $52.96.

Have a great time!

Peace.
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »