Trip Advice for next week 10-8

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Advice for next week 10-8

Post by tekisui0 »

Hello!

My friend and I are trying to squeeze in a week long car camping trip with some overnighters starting 10-8. Looking for a beautiful base camp where we can have a fire, ideally nearish to some hot springs. We're open to primitive or campsites as long as not too many people around. We have a high clearance 4WD. Probably western central Sierra, but open to anywhere awesome. Heard some good things about the kaiser pass road/mono hot springs area. My only other High Sierra trip was a 100ish mile loop in the mineral king area. We are both experienced long distance backpackers and prefer forests and rivers to rocks and peaks. Of course weather/low temps are a concern. Open to suggestion.

THANKS!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice for next week 10-8

Post by AlmostThere »

If there is any hint of a storm, be careful. Kaiser Pass is one of those that closes (with gates) when it snows. So is the road to Courtright/Wishon, the FS roads that head in to Dinkey, Tioga Pass, the Generals Highway between the parks (SEKI), and 198 over the divide. Mono Hot Springs resort and campground will be closed as it does the first weekend of October each year.

I'd base camp at Huntington Lake (the road stays open) and hike into Kaiser and Dinkey. The place will be fairly deserted, this late in the season. Drive over the pass for the day to visit the free hot spring tubs in the meadow near Mono, park at the trailhead next to the resort and hike to Tule and Doris Lakes (Doris is a warm lake fed by the mineral springs).

It's snowing in the high country. It might snow a little on Sunday. CalTrans and NOAA websites are your friend...
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

thanks for the info!!
it seems the mono hot springs area is going to get snow any day and we're not totally sold on this area. i looked at huntington lake and its not exactly what we're looking for. any other recommendations with the previously mentioned criteria? perhaps northern or eastern sierra? just looking for a beautiful car camping spot, some mountains, some forest, some water, some rocks, fire option... hot springs and an interesting overnighter would be great... anywhere within 8ish hours of the bay would be fine.
thanks so much for ANYONE'S input!!!
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

thanks for the info!!
it seems the mono hot springs area is going to get snow any day and we're not totally sold on this area. i looked at huntington lake and its not exactly what we're looking for. any other recommendations with the previously mentioned criteria? perhaps northern or eastern sierra? just looking for a beautiful car camping spot, some mountains, some forest, some water, some rocks, fire option... hot springs and an interesting overnighter would be great... anywhere within 8ish hours of the bay would be fine.
thanks so much for ANYONE'S input!!!
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seanr »

Bridgeport. Buckeye Campground and vicinity. There are springs cascading into pools abutting Buckeye Creek. You can overnight along the trail up Buckeye Creek and/or the trail up Eagle Creek. Additional springs lie closer to town right off the 395. More lie to the north along the highway before the 108/Sonora Pass junction near Obsidian Campground turn off. There are overnight possibilities up the creek canyon trails from that campground as well with nice aspen groves. I'm not sure your fitness level and experience, but additional overnight trips from Twin Lakes/Mono Village include Barney Lake/Peeler Lake or, steeper, up Horse Creek trail. South of town you can access Green Creek TH or Virginia Lakes TH and drive through aspen groves between them via Dunderberg. Heading toward Tioga Pass, from Bridgeport, you might enjoy Lundy Canyon or Saddlebag Lake vicinity.

The forest is not consistently dense like middle elevations of the western Sierra, but now is the time to see the nice fall colors in the aspen groves of the Eastern Sierra. It is a popular thing to do and you can work your way south or north to see more. In fact, weekends will be crowded, especially in easy access places like Lundy Canyon road or wherever the latest easy access peak color spots are. Dirt roads should garner more solitude. http://www.californiafallcolor.com

As discussed, keep an eye before and throughout your trip on weather.gov point forecasts and the associated forecast discussions.
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

thanks bud.... i think thats the ticket!
heres hoping the weather holds out :)