Mineral King Dayhike / Death March 9/26/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mineral King Dayhike / Death March 9/26/15

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I went up Friday and got a site in Cold Springs campground for the hike in on Saturday. I hiked into White Chief Canyon where I enjoyed seeing the natural cave systems along with the mine adits. I didn't know all that was there. Probably best I did not bring a flashlight other wise I would have spent way too much time exploring the caves. I climbed the NW ridge of Vandever Mountain making the summit by about 12:30. The register was stolen like so many other peaks. I then traversed over to Peak 11,770 'ish' where no register was found either. I then made the long tedious traverse to White Chief Peak and then on to the summit of Hengst Peak. By this point I was already totally beat but I was happy I got the 4 peaks done. I then dropped down to the Mosquito Lakes which I was not able to enjoy at all because the night settled in on me and I had no flashlight so quickly I found myself hiking in the dark. Although the full moon was coming up it had little effect in the forest. I was a bit dismayed at first because following a trail in the dark is one thing but cross country is something else. At one point I tripped on a large rock and went crashing down putting a nice gash in my leg just below the knee. Not long after that I pulled out my camera and put a photo on the screen and used what little light it gave me. Finally I got onto the trail and made my way out after 13.5 hours and my GPS recorded 5800 feet gained and 17.5 miles hiked. I got back into camp at 10pm completely wrecked but still happy to have got it all done!

Photos here: Mineral King Day Hike
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Re: Mineral King Dayhike / Death March 9/26/15

Post by Shawn »

MK is always a great place to visit, nice job on those four peaks and thanks for the nice photos. Death march indeed, good thing you didn't break a leg after that stumble.

Some years ago I went up to White Chief via Eagle Lake, not realizing what a dud it is from the west. After taking a dip in a little lake east of White Chief, I traversed towards Vandever but as I got closer just couldn't get excited about it and bailed into the valley and headed out. The valley seemed to be the best part of the hike.

PS.I always have a headlamp in my day pack, even for the shortest of hikes, ya' just never know.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah that traverse after the little class 1 hump is very tedious. Probably the worst part of the whole traverse.

And yeah I have not been a day hiker at all so little things like I really should bring a flashlight haven't been ingrained in me yet but hey the best lessons are those hard learned. My gear list was nothing more than a jacket and a first aid kit. I couldn't have even made a fire if I was forced to stay out all night.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well Rogue, with the zillion miles you've put in the Sierra I have to suppose you could find your way out of there blind folded, hands tied behind your back and wearing ear plugs. :D
RooPhillip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RooPhillip »

Rogue, you amaze me. Thanks for sharing those stellar pics of a real adventure. :thumbsup: