Tour of Tokopah and the Tablelands 9/5/15 | High Sierra Topix  

Tour of Tokopah and the Tablelands 9/5/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Tour of Tokopah and the Tablelands 9/5/15

Postby zacjust32 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Last weekend I took a day trip up to Wolverton, Alta Peak through the Tablelands and down via the Lakes' Trail. The smoke report from the Rough Fire forecasted no problems in the Lodgepole area; they were right, as I only smelt a faint whiff once or twice. But the smoke driving up the 180 was like driving through the valley fog. I started on the trail at 6 sharp and made it to the top of Alta in an embarrassing 3.5 hours. A 20 minute break at the top then I started east along the ridge, dropping down to unnamed lake and climbing back up to overlook Moose Lake. I spent some time here, walking up and down, admiring the sea of granite and the dozens of small lakes and tarns. I decided to head north, not quite sure how far or where, but north. I passed the typical granite slabs and made my way through a series of ponds. I kept north and finally made it to the overlook over Table Meadows and Lake 10,559. Turning back I passed many more lakes before paralleling the Kaweah and following a drainage/use trail west. After looking down on another meadow one ridge east of Pear Lake, I climbed the pass and took another break by the Matterhorn. I dropped down to Pear and after filling up with water started back to the parking lot at 3. A quick jog later and I was at the parking lot at 5. Ice cream at Stony Creek was a welcomed relief before heading back down the hill.

ImageMap
ImageSmoke from Panther Gap
ImageSmoke from Panther Gap
ImageLooking up towards Alta Peak
ImageHeading to the Summit
ImageLooking down on Pear Lake
ImageFrogs around Lake ~10,800
ImageOverlooking Moose Lake
ImageLooking north into the Tablelands
ImageTypical rock formations
ImageOverlooking small lakes in tablelands
ImageInteresting Rock Wall
ImageTableland slabs
ImageOverlooking small unnamed lakes
ImageLargest unnamed lake
ImageLooks like the rock was spit out
ImageTable Meadows Lake
ImageUpper Table Meadows
ImageWeather Station
Imageand another...
ImageUpper and lower lakes -these actually had fish
ImageMeadow by Ranger Station
ImageAbove Pear Lake
ImageLooking down Tokopah Valley
Hiker, adventurer, fabricator, tinkerer, theologian, and occasional student. http://www.zacjust.blogspot.com

zacjust32
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Tour of Tokopah and the Tablelands 9/5/15

Postby Bluewater » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for the trip through some familiar ground. I was there in late July during the thunderstorms. Your photos of the smoke conditions are very much appreciated and I like the detailed shots of the interesting rock formations! I can't think of a better place to spend a day.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby windknot » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:12 am

Nice day trip! Did a variation of this loop (but in three leisurely days) a few years ago and it sure is a pretty area.
A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby iHartMK » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Great trip report! Thank you for sharing.
Living On Kaweah Time
iHartMK
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping