High Sierra Hyatt

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Hyatt

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! Great shots of an area I'd like to visit.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I took a similar trip to Hyatt and Big Lake this past weekend. I had done the same route 9 years ago so had an idea as to what areas to avoid.

After you exit the forest after leaving the trail head if you stay high there is an occasional trail cairn as you head down the rib. This keeps you out of the brush and is an easy way down to the creek. There is a wide and easy crossing where my route crosses Cherry Creek. Although the creek wasn't running there was still ample good water in the pools.

From there up to Hyatt I stayed on the North side which was easier than the South side which I took on my previous trip. Although it's a hit and miss situation to get past some ledges on the way up. Once over the top of the chute there is the occasional cairn. If you choose the right place to cross over the little valley it's an easy climb up to the granite rib and there is an easy and clear route that is free of brush all the way into Hyatt.

The route on the attached map is my GPS route. If a HST member is interested in the .gpx file send me a PM and I'll send it to you.
Bourland Meadow to Hyatt.JPG
This route is only 6 miles and is 5 or 6 miles shorter than going from Crabtree to Rosasco to Hyatt but there is more vertical and the route finding isn't easy. It's a tough 6 but Hyatt is worth the trip.
IMG_20150918_185412488_HDR (Medium).jpg
IMG_20150919_101204427_HDR (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Nice! So you clearly crossed over that little creek below Hyatt long before we did.

Too bad you didn't bushwhack through the manzanita--you might have found some of our stuff!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

balzaccom wrote:Nice! So you clearly crossed over that little creek below Hyatt long before we did.

Too bad you didn't bushwhack through the manzanita--you might have found some of our stuff!

P & M,

I was tempted to look for your stuff but I bushwacked through that Manzanita 9 years ago and wasn't up for a repeat.

Also, thank you for all of your great trip reports. I really enjoy them and have spent some time on your site. I hope to run into you sometime in the future.

Best,

M
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

mschnaidt wrote:
balzaccom wrote:Nice! So you clearly crossed over that little creek below Hyatt long before we did.

P & M,

I was tempted to look for your stuff but I bushwacked through that Manzanita 9 years ago and wasn't up for a repeat.

Also, thank you for all of your great trip reports. I really enjoy them and have spent some time on your site. I hope to run into you sometime in the future.

Best,

M
I can't blame you for that. We had a chance to do the same thing on the way out, and decided not to do so...

And thanks for the kinds words about out website. We always love running into someone on the trail who has seen it--on our last trip, someone recognized M from all of her photos on the site!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

mschnaidt wrote:I took a similar trip to Hyatt and Big Lake this past weekend. I had done the same route 9 years ago so had an idea as to what areas to avoid.

After you exit the forest after leaving the trail head if you stay high there is an occasional trail cairn as you head down the rib. This keeps you out of the brush and is an easy way down to the creek. There is a wide and easy crossing where my route crosses Cherry Creek. Although the creek wasn't running there was still ample good water in the pools.

From there up to Hyatt I stayed on the North side which was easier than the South side which I took on my previous trip. Although it's a hit and miss situation to get past some ledges on the way up. Once over the top of the chute there is the occasional cairn. If you choose the right place to cross over the little valley it's an easy climb up to the granite rib and there is an easy and clear route that is free of brush all the way into Hyatt.

The route on the attached map is my GPS route. If a HST member is interested in the .gpx file send me a PM and I'll send it to you.
Bourland Meadow to Hyatt.JPG
This route is only 6 miles and is 5 or 6 miles shorter than going from Crabtree to Rosasco to Hyatt but there is more vertical and the route finding isn't easy. It's a tough 6 but Hyatt is worth the trip.
Do you think this route will be possible later this month or early in June?
Last edited by MountainMinstrel on Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

...ooooh, a Hyatt Lake \:D/
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Do you think this route will be possible later this month or early in June?[/quote]

It's hard to say. It all depends on snowpack and the weather. I'm attaching some pics taken July 8 last year. The creek was running high and although one of our party waded across without his pack (with some difficulty) we decided as a group not to risk it. Last year was much wetter of course. Time of day was a factor also. The water level varied quite a bit. Lowest at mid morning and higher by about a foot in the evening. I wish I could give you some meaningful information for this year but I haven't been in yet.
20170707_095913 (Medium).jpg
20170707_114615 (Medium).jpg
20170707_132705 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I think I'll save this one for latter in the year. PM sent for the .gpx file.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.