~20-mile backpacking recommendation near Fresno

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thurmanator
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

~20-mile backpacking recommendation near Fresno

Post by thurmanator »

20-year-old daughter and I are considering meeting up in Fresno for a quick backpacking trip in late Oct/early Nov. Not being from the area, we're looking for recommendations from locals within relatively easy access from Fresno airport (<100 miles). Two or three days of hiking is ideal. Loop hike optimal, but we'll settle for an out-n-back or lollipop route. What's snow free in that time frame?

We're level 2 hikers, looking for mostly level 1 terrain. Lakes and mountain views appreciated. No dogs.

Also, as we're unfamiliar with the areas (we're from the Pacific NW), any restrictions, cautions, suggestions, info on permits, etc. you have to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ~20-mile backpacking recommendation near Fresno

Post by rlown »

Chain Lakes: http://calitrails.com/2013/04/08/quartz ... weekender/

It's not 20 miles, but its a good first step into the Sierra. Your looking at a late season, so weather might be something to look out for.

And do some research on the area. Just for fun..

Or this one: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=48065 Lillian is a nice place to hang out.

Welcome to the forum!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ~20-mile backpacking recommendation near Fresno

Post by AlmostThere »

Rental car places don't always allow you to put chains or cables on their cars, so that may be a consideration, since most jurisdictions require that you carry snow gear for your vehicle in winter. You'll probably also want 15-20F-worthy sleeping gear and adequate clothing layers.

During winter I often plan backpacking trips on the coast - the drive time is actually quite similar to trips to the local central SIerra, and I live in Fresno. If the weather doesn't dump snow by late October, I would be heading for places where the road will still be open - so not Tioga Pass, Kings Canyon, or the Generals Highway between Kings Canyon and Sequoia NPs. Possibly Dinkey or Kaiser Wilderness, Yosemite valley trailheads, or as rlown suggests, Chain Lakes via the Quartz Mountain trailhead (permits from the Sierra NF office in Oakhurst).