East Coast hiker looking for trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
WillFerullo
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

East Coast hiker looking for trip advice

Post by WillFerullo »

Hello, I am on the east coast and do most of my backpacking in the White mOUNTAINS OF nEW Hampshire. i WILL BE COMING OUT TO lAKE Tahoe IN THE BEGINNING OF October. i WAS HOPING FOR SOME SUGGESTIONS OF GOOD MULTI DAY BACKPACKING TRIPS(3-5 days) IN THE lAKE Tahoe AREA FOR AN EXPERIENCED HIKER. Are there any good loops? What are the must climb peaks? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: East Coast hiker looking for trip advice

Post by ERIC »

Hi Will,

Welcome to HST! I know you said you're an experienced hiker, but please take a look here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205 More info about what you're looking for and I'm sure we can help out with some suggestions.

Cheers,
ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
WillFerullo
Topix Newbie

Post by WillFerullo »

OK thank you for that reply, here is all the appropriate information.

Experience level 3
Class 3 terrain
I want to see the best big mountain scenery Lake tAHOE AREA HAS TO OFFER. i WOULD LIKE TO CLIMB THE BIGGEST PEAKS IN THE AREA
I would like to spend 3-4 nights out on trail
I can handle anywhere from 10-15 miles a day no problem.
I prefer loops when I hike, but I know that is not always possible.
No dog.
My maps are coming this week, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I used to live at Tahoe. Here's what I think the best scenic loop would be:

http://caltopo.com/m/4H3S

If you can arrange transportation, this is a much shorter point to point route that hits all the best scenic places:

http://caltopo.com/m/4L3H

The PCT along Lake Aloha is the 2nd most scenic section of the PCT. The climb of Mt. Tallac gives you a bird's eye view of all of Lake Tahoe.

This has been perhaps the driest season on record. Make sure there are no fires in the area before you begin. You will be able to find water at the lakes, but expect seasonal streams to be dry. There is always the possibility of snow in Oct. in the Sierra; be appropriately prepared.

The loop route requires a cross country section from Lake Geneveive to the General Creek trail, however, there used to be an official maintained trail through there. On both maps I have indicated going off trail to follow the stream flowing out of Lake Fontanillis as it rushes down a granite pluton. Once that hits bottom, follow the stream until it hits trail. On the point to point map I have shown a couple of very good secluded camp sites on Crag and Susie lakes.

Mt. Tallac is a walk up climb with amazing views. The highest peak is Pyramid Peak. On a clear day you can see several hundred miles in every direction. It is also walk up from the south ridge, but it is steeper.

At Echo Lakes, you can take a water taxi from the marina to the upper end of Upper Echo Lake. The cost is $12. There is a phone you can use to summon the boat when going south. Usually the dam is opened on Lower Echo after Labor Day, making the Interlochen stream unnavigable. The taxi/ferry may or may not run to the upper end of Lower Echo Lake at the time of your trip. You always have the option of just hiking the PCT along the edge of the lakes.

Hopefully Tahoe Jeff and VacaRuss will offer some opinions.
WillFerullo
Topix Newbie

Post by WillFerullo »

Thank you so much for all the great info! Just what I needed!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I think Tom nailed it. Hopefully the smoke will dissipate by early Oct.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
chrismis21
Topix Novice

Post by chrismis21 »

I used to live on the West/Central border of Tahoe Nation Forest and spent plenty of time in the area. From a solitude perspective, I loved going north of I-80. If you want scenery and peaks, Tom's route is absolutely perfect, as long as the smoke doesn't choke you out. Hopefully it will be clear; that's an absolutely beautiful area!
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

chrismis21 wrote:From a solitude perspective, I loved going north of I-80. If you want scenery and peaks, Tom's route is absolutely perfect
In summer, Deso is full of people. By October, things are very quiet. I once climbed Tallac via Glen Alpine TH in Oct. and did not see a single person.