Minaret to Cecile..Iceberg.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Chicago_Dave
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Minaret to Cecile..Iceberg.

Post by Chicago_Dave »

Pietro257 wrote:As the other posters say, there is a narrow use trail. The photographs make this hike look harder than it is.

Some advice about camping at Minaret Lake... I was there two weeks ago. There is a beautiful campsite (best on the lake) on the far west side of the lake. When you come up from Devil's Postpile, you'll be tired and tempted to take the first campsite you see, but take the 30-40 minute trip all the way around to the far side of the lake to find this campsite. It's in some trees with a stream beside it that is good for getting water. Moreover, the use trail you'll take up the pass runs right by the campsite. Camping there will give you a headstart the next day.

Use trails around Minaret Lake are on the north side of the lake. Don't go around the south side, as I saw some unfortunate souls do when I was there.

Hey thank you for that info! I'll look for that campsite you are talking about.

Also was Minaret Creek flowing?
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Dave,
I hiked the Iceberg - Cecile - Minaret route last week (north to south). As others have mentioned, the route between Iceberg and Cecile is a use trail. Easy to follow, but crumbly, so expect that some of your steps will include a bit of sliding as the scree gives way. Hiking poles were very helpful. Other than that there are no particular challenges at this time (no snow or ice).

This is a very scenic route and just adventurous enough if this is one of your first forays off the beaten path.
Steve
Chicago_Dave
Topix Novice

Post by Chicago_Dave »

stevet wrote:Dave,
I hiked the Iceberg - Cecile - Minaret route last week (north to south). As others have mentioned, the route between Iceberg and Cecile is a use trail. Easy to follow, but crumbly, so expect that some of your steps will include a bit of sliding as the scree gives way. Hiking poles were very helpful. Other than that there are no particular challenges at this time (no snow or ice).

This is a very scenic route and just adventurous enough if this is one of your first forays off the beaten path.
Steve

Thanks Steve! Yes its my first trip in this area. I think I picked a good one!
Thanks for the input. Cant wait to post some pictures here.....been a great source of information with super helpful people!!
Chicago_Dave
Topix Novice

Post by Chicago_Dave »

Well I'm back from my trip! And it was fantastic!!! Thank you all for the great info I received on this site.

I can tell you that my favorite place to camp on the entire 5 day trip was on the north shore of Iceberg Lake. Simply stunning and completely isolated. Far enough away from everyone.

Here are some of the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Glad your trip was a success! Thanks for coming back and posting the great pictures. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix