Hammocking possible?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hammocking possible?

Post by AlmostThere »

hurricaniac wrote:East and Reflection have lots of stout whitebark pines near the lakes, but having them hammock-friendly distance apart will present the usual limited choices.
My sweet spot for my hammock is around 20 ft. I can get the suspension to accommodate longer distances, however, that usually requires trekking poles to get the straps high enough on the trees to provide that 30 degree angle that makes the hammock hang perfectly.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Hammocking possible?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

AlmostThere wrote:
MountainMinstrel wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Long straps and adjustable suspension (my whoopie slings were special ordered longer than standard) are better for the Sierra. When the only tree for miles is foxtail pines, good luck with the 6' straps....

What you'll encounter tho is a rift between you and any tent dwellers with you. You need good sturdy trees which are not so common at that elevation, not the springy wind-stunted pines that, even if they are 6-8" in diameter, will plant your butt on the ground. But some of us like having a bed a quarter of a mile from the snoring friends in tents.
Have we hiked together?
It's entirely possible. I have been in quite a few meetup groups, and sometimes, my group ends up "adopting" friendly people on the trail who need help navigating...

It's also been true that my group can be up to 100 - 400 feet apart at night, because the snorers are trying to be polite. :rolleyes:
Actually since I have lost close to 20 lbs. my wife says I don't snore at all.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.