Piute Pass TR (8/9-15, 2015)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Piute Pass TR (8/9-15, 2015)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... saddle.jpg[/rimg]
This is the route to Paine Lake. It follows a set of diagonal vegetated areas with some talus and rock slabs in between. It was pretty logical and obvious, and once on the route I ran into many cairns. I came down it carrying two trekking poles and my fishing pole in my hand; so use of hands is handy but optional. Some zig-zagging. A bit of brush. Took me 20 minutes to get to Paine Lake from the outlet of Packsaddle Lake. About 550 feet elevation gain.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

our route down from Payne to Packsaddle (the red line approximate):
PaineLk from Packsaddle.jpg
We followed and headed for a brush-line as well, but we looked at the area you came up and it didn't seem good for us. We came to Payne first over the ridge to the East, and ambled on down towards Payne (wish we could agree on that name) Pretty sure that lake is named after Edgar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Alwin_Payne

Anyway, fun in the back country!

Thanks for the feedback WD.. Never saw a cairn at Payne to indicate a direction so it came down to discussion and decision.

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

I've been reading your TR's for years on this site and others. They never disappoint. This one was great. Haven't been to all of those lakes and it has been years since I was up in that area. I need to go back and this just may be the inspiration. Thanks again
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

Great TR and photos! Every time I hike up that trail, I always wonder about Emerson lake and if it has fish... Now I know!!!