heading to north lake south lake area questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

heading to north lake south lake area questions

Post by Beantown »

I am going up next sunday to wednesday to car camp, hike and fish with the wifey.

I was up there in the spring and camped at willow before I backpacked south lake to north lake. How is sabrina lake to camp at, i did not get a look at the campgrounds. I am also considering north lake campground. Willow was nice since it was on the creek. I like it when the camgrounds are not busy.

Our of these 3, where do you like to camp up here? Dogs are allowed in the John Muir wilderness hiking trails? how is the smoke from all the fires burning.

What is good to hike to, seems there is alot to do.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: heading to north lake south lake area questions

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We just camped at Upper Intake 2 campground. There are spaces down by the intake pond (which has fish) or up the road a bit for more privacy, still on the creek. The campground is small but little used. The spaces by the intake pond are a little bit of a walk-in. Not much- you just have to park across the road and carry stuff about 50 feet. The campsites up the road are designed for trailers and RV's- a few are pull-through. We liked this campground a lot. Initially we were going to camp at North Lake but it was full. No problem getting a site at Inake 2.

Last Fall we camped at Four Jeffery. It is bigger. We had a trailer and it has a dump station.

We looked at the Forks, but did not like it.

The nice thing about campgrounds near the road junction is that it is easy to access both South Lake and Sabrina.