TR: PCT High Trail, TI Lake/Garnet/Ediza Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Clc9
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: PCT High Trail, TI Lake/Garnet/Ediza Loop

Post by Clc9 »

Great questions!

So the first pair I purchased was their original weight crew socks in black so I could wear them to work with business casual attire to determine if i even liked the feel of the socks. When I ordered them I used Amazon and got both a medium and large so I could see how both fit. I am a 10.5 and could have easily gone either way but I liked the fit of the size large better and don't notice any extra material between my toes. I think that is a problem for some folks though based on the reviews I read prior to purchase.

After wearing them for a couple weeks I decided I liked the feel and was ready to dive in. I purchased the mid weight trail xtralife version which is a mini-crew but works perfectly with my high top boots (TNF ultra fastpack boots). I used these socks for training hikes and trail runs and that is when I decided I was hooked and bought another pair. So the adjustment was fairly easy in my opinion once I found that I didn't mind having the extra bulk between my toes.

I feel like they let my feet breath better than merino wool socks, which I was using previously (icebreaker and smartwool). These are a polyester/nylon/Lycra end. That was part of the reason I started looking into other sock options in the first place. I feel like my feet sweat excessively and the wool just wasn't working for me....though I love all my smartwool and icebreaker shirts. I also had a short stint with wright socks in between the merino wool and injinjis but they were not quite perfect for me so I moved on.

As to whether they are more like gloves or mittens I don't think I couldn't really say based on my limited experience with them. I live in a very hot and humid Florida climate so I haven't really been able test them out in the cold. When we did the trail the temps never really got lower that the 40s so it wasn't cold enough for me to notice a difference. I did bring a regular pair of smartwool hiking socks for sleeping in but never ended up needing them and I was just using a Sierra designs quilt...it was more than warn enough. I feel like the a pair of standard merino wool socks would be warmer overall but I really have not tested them in that fashion

I hope this helps a little...this is definitely more than I have ever written about a pair of socks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: PCT High Trail, TI Lake/Garnet/Ediza Loop

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the review of the socks, very informative and helpful.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org