Agnew Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
littlefish
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Agnew Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by littlefish »

Hiking this portion of JMT in mid September. Giving myself 5 days to allow for lollygagging and pictures. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Where to camp/fish, trail conditions, bears, permits needed, Donahue Pass. Any and all info will be appreciated. thanks lf
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Agnew Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by maverick »

Would recommend staying at Lake Ediza for the first night, then 1000 Is Lake the second night, Davis or Marie Lake the third night, and in Upper/Mid Lyell Canyon the last night, this will give you a great opportunity to photograph the best areas on you route at the golden hours, and also allow you enough time to fish.
Bears are very active from Ediza to 1000 Is Lake, use a bear canister, keep a clean camp, stay away from large groups, and do not camp on the shore of 1000 Is Lake where a lot of people do, and where the bears hang out at night.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

I would recommend some lallygagging time at Island Pass. Very beautiful IMO. I think there's a hot spring there somewhere but don't quote me on it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I would recommend some lallygagging time at Island Pass. Very beautiful IMO. I think there's a hot spring there somewhere but don't quote me on it.
Definitely, you can easily reach it from either 1000 Is Lake or Davis, or with an early start you can get a great sunrise shot from Island Pass. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org