Trip suggestions-Virginia Lakes TH?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bandguy5686
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Trip suggestions-Virginia Lakes TH?

Post by bandguy5686 »

Hello all. I'm pondering a trip into this area and would like your thoughts:
Day 1: Virginia to Soldier or Spiller lake
Day 2: Matterhorn Canyon (somewhere)

Then (after reading this from maverick:
maverick wrote:Beautiful area, fun route, solitude, and since you fish, all I will say is, Doe Lake. :)
Day 3 & 4 would be exploring all of that, but I'd like suggestions as to the best way. Was thinking about going over Burro Pass and looping back down Slide Canyon. If I get to Doe lake it looks (from the Tom Harrison map) like getting out would be challenging...would it? The idea would be either to go back out of Virginia or down to Green Creek.

I have moderate outdoor skills; I'm a Level 2.5 on the backpacking "scale-". Mostly trail but can go x/c if the roué is fairly obvious. No more than Class 2 though. I love to fish, get some solitude, and see some high mountain scenery. Thinking I'd be out 5-6 days. In any case, I'll likely be solo and at 58 years old I should be cautious. What are your thoughts?

I look forward to hearing from the HST Community and the reporting back about this trip!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip suggestions-Virginia Lakes TH?

Post by maverick »

This thread will give you a lot of information/details, included in one of the posts, is a link to another site, that will give you additional information/ideas, if you have any further questions please ask. :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8345&hilit=big+slid ... ake#p60726
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org