If you had to pick....

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: If you had to pick....

Post by maverick »

Light Ranger wrote:
Mineral King is pretty legit too.
They sure are, but that long winding road as a day trip is a drag, the place is so pretty, if you do visit, devote at least 4 nights, and do the MK loop. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markley »

So is it worth trying to get a spot at campgrounds like Minaret Flats, Pumice Flats, Soda Springs, etc.? I'd rather just disperse camp, but it would be nice to be a little closer to the trailhead for an early start. Also, is it required that backpackers park at visitor center and shuttle (to Agnew Meadows)?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Also, is it required that backpackers park at visitor center and shuttle (to Agnew Meadows)?
Yes, but not at the Visitor Center where you get your permit, but at the Mammoth Lodge/Adventure Center, unless you camp somewhere near-by the night before, and then you can drive down before 7am, park at Agnew Meadow trailhead, but you will have to pay when you come out at the kiosk, if you come out before 7pm.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

markley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markley »

maverick wrote:Yes, but not at the Visitor Center where you get your permit, but at the Mammoth Lodge/Adventure Center, unless you camp somewhere near-by the night before, and then you can drive down before 7am, park at Agnew Meadow trailhead, but you will have to pay when you come out at the kiosk, if you come out before 7pm.
Great, thanks! I thought I read somewhere that backpackers had to shuttle.