Where do y'all SHOWER after Tuolumne Meadows exit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Okay, my Google gives me only that the Tuolumne Lodge doesn't sell hot showers to stinky backpackers anymore, and I haven't been up there in quite a while. So, if you're exiting at Tuolumne, where do you smart, clean-smelling travelers find a pay shower before heading down 395?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Where do y'all SHOWER after Tuolumne Meadows exit?

Post by SSSdave »

Pay showers used to be down at the Lee Vining trailer park at the north end of town.

Me hot showers? Nope, almost never bother when quick and free is just a short effort away. Where SR120 runs beside the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River at 9k abouts, park at any small roadside parkable spot then wander south a wee bit through highway view blocking lodgepole pines. Remove clothing and fully dunk into any deep enough pool of refreshing COOL water for 15 seconds or so. Lay out of pleasant water smoothed sun warmed granite slab and get a bit of tan too.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

There's at least one RV/trailer park in Lee Vining where you can shower by paying a fee. The Mono Vista park at the north end of town past the Chevron station on the west side of 395 charges $2.50. You pay more if you require a towel. You can also try Murphey's Trailer Park behind Murphey's Motel. They used to sell showers to people who weren't camping there for around $5.00. I'm not sure if they are still on offer though.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The bottle of water in the car gives me a cooldown before I haul the clean clothes and wet wipes into the woods/pit toilet. I might use the leftover stove fuel to heat up warm water for a hair wash in the parking lot, if it's been a long time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rig your own shower set-up or buy one, put soap and towel in a bag, place in the trailhead bear box, retrieve it when coming out, find a private location, and get clean, easy. :) http://www.rei.com/product/850667/nemo- ... ure-shower
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I carry a gallon of water in the truck for each hiker. Towels and cloths as well. change of clothes are usually what i wore in before i changed into the backpacking garb.

When we get out, I find a spot, park backwards from the road and we rinse off behind the cover of the truck doors. It's really that simple. Shower not necessary. SSSdave probably has the right idea there as well.

The clean clothes at the end of trip are the most important thing. There is nothing worse than someone stinkin for 5 hrs to get home.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Great beta on the Lee Vining locations! Thank you. I will research them directly, today.

I chuckle at the stream bathers and the gallon guys, because I was there once Heck, I still savor the hilarity of riding up from Agnew or Reds Meadows in a bus full of eye-watering tourists now reconsidering how great their "seat" is as my Scouts and I grasp grab bars with open armpits... However, with Scouts riding in our cars for 8-10 hours home, I am all about the hot shower and soap. Cold water and a rag are for trail time, not civilization (you hairy-legged heathens!). Go Lavender with the Dr. Brommer's while you're at it. Hell, use Axe for all I care. :retard: Rinse, Repeat.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Mock all you like, I ain't risking the possibility of a foot fungus flare up to use some humid stanky public shower that hasn't seen bleach in a week. The Great Outdoors or home for me.

Yes, I have been in the park's showers. Once.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

What she said. I'll stick with the jug o water thing and change of clothes. works great.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Fortunately, I drive home alone, so it's just a change of clothes. The diners on the east side are used to stank. If they're not, they're in the wrong town. :unibrow:

Although, I've often wondered why the service I get sucks out loud. I always thought it was just the slower pace of country life. :paranoid:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.