TR: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Hobbes »

Sweet report - your photos really bring back how nice that weather got after the tropical storm blew through. After your wedding, will you & Andrey be able to get your wives out, or will you join the ranks of Mav, Jim & myself as solo dogs?
MN2CAPisco
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MN2CAPisco »

Hobbes wrote:Sweet report - your photos really bring back how nice that weather got after the tropical storm blew through. After your wedding, will you & Andrey be able to get your wives out, or will you join the ranks of Mav, Jim & myself as solo dogs?
Good question...I'm working on my lady to get into this life, though I likely burned her out on it already down in Peru a few years ago. I've discovered that it's a good idea to ease her into it. :D Andrey's lady likes getting into the mountains and hiking, but the backpacking side isn't her favorite so far. Thankfully both of them are willing to let us part ways for a weekend here and there, in fact they probably appreciate a bit of time away...
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the great report! I was just sitting down to finally start posting mine, but reading about your journey and looking at the beautiful photos provided yet another reason to procrastinate. Many thanks for letting me try your panoramic camera mount at the meetup. It was good to meet you, Andrey and the rest of the HST crew. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

:thumbsup: I can change her if I just go slow enough :thumbsdown:

Yeah, that oughta work :unibrow:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

What a great trip report, MN2CAPisco! Us guys from Bako get a lot of bad pub because of where we have to live because of our jobs. Thanks for making it just a bit more difficult!
MN2CAPisco
Topix Acquainted

Post by MN2CAPisco »

Bluewater wrote:It was good to meet you, Andrey and the rest of the HST crew. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Likewise Andy! I admit I'm looking forward to your TR, no rush though as I'm sure it'll be nice to reminisce later in the year when I'm dreaming of this great summer trip.
Jimr wrote::thumbsup: I can change her if I just go slow enough :thumbsdown:

Yeah, that oughta work :unibrow:
Slow is the name of the game! I struggle with that though :D
richlong8 wrote:What a great trip report, MN2CAPisco! Us guys from Bako get a lot of bad pub because of where we have to live because of our jobs. Thanks for making it just a bit more difficult!
Thanks Rich, was great to meet you out there! I contend that Bakersfield is a great place from which to explore the Sierra...equidistant from either west side or east side trailheads, plus the difference between the heat and air quality of where we live makes the mountain experience that much better. :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wonderful TR and pictures MN2CAPisco! Hopefully TR's of this Meet-up, will entice others to join in on the fun and adventure, taking advantage of meeting like-minded, mountain loving members, which in turn evolve into lifetime, and meaningful friendships! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

MN2CAPisco, nice report and photos! Especially the 360 panos. Seems like just last week...
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Nice, Roger. Outstanding photography! I like that you captured Lake 11,445 in Nine Lakes Basin. The middle-elevation benches of Nine Lakes Basin were a real highlight for me, scenery-wise, on this trip, and yet people seem to mention this location only in passing.

I'll get to my own report, one of these weeks. :whistle:

- Elizabeth
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Day 1 Saturday Mineral king ranger Station 8am took ½ hour to get permit then up to trailhead to wrap my car to protect it from the marmots.
2000.jpg
Started hiking 9am way to late in my opinion but there was NO way to get my permit the day before as my drive was 6 ½ hours and I got off work at noon left house at 2:30 slept at trailhead in car. Parking lot was almost full, worked my way up the trail to the old trail to glacier pass right where one would cross the creek, go left instead, 1st part was easy to follow, then I second guessed myself when I saw a trail still going up the creek so I traversed to it and ended up on the main sawtooth pass trail, by the time I made it to Glacier Pass
2001.jpg
2002.jpg
the clouds had moved in and decided it was unwise to try and get Sawtooth and Needham peaks so went down to Spring lake
2003.jpg
on a nice use trail and set up my tent as Hands and knees pass was next and I didn’t want to be anywhere near a ridge with a storm coming . Good call within a ½ hour the rain began followed by amazing lightning/ thunder /hail all around me and VERY close!

Day 2 Spring Lake to what I call Lippencott lake. I took awhile to get going due to the rain, worked my way up Hands and Knees pass
2004.jpg
maybe a little class 3 at the top but easy route finding, the other side was very easy, traversed over
2006.jpg
2007.jpg
to the ridge between big and little five lakes then down to Little 5 lakes
2008.jpg
found the Black rock trail after some navigational errors then veered off trail towards the other little 5 lakes where I saw a bald eagle right above me! I was going to go to Eisen peak from here but already the ridges were looking like rain so went back to the trail and followed it to the big arroyo patrol cabin where a group of younger folks were holed up due to the rain. From there I went North on the HST till I could work up to the slabs to Lippencott Lake north east of Lippencott peak. Before I got to the lake it started raining again. After I got there I walked all over to find a flat non rocky camp spot, if there is one at this lake I could not find it. I made a platform out of flat rocks to set up my tent it worked very well and kept the bottom of my tent dry as the copious amounts of water came down from the sky.
2009.jpg
Day 3 lippencott Lake, peak to heart lake Nine lakes Basin. Woke up and it was still raining was not sure I was going to be able to hike this day as the granite slabs I needed to go down would probably be to wet, then it got somewhat nicer around 8 so decided to go for Lippencott peak not to bad from the north side, go up to the saddle class 2 ramps then traverse and up to the peak got into some class 3 but could have probably avoided it. Beautiful from up there with all the clouds around me but wanted to get down and past the granite slabs before the rain started again.
2011.jpg
2010.jpg

continued
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein