Nicest east-side trailhead campground?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Talimon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Nicest east-side trailhead campground?

Post by Talimon »

I'm going to be wrapping up a trip in Bishop, and am wondering if anyone has a favorite campground north or south? I am having a friend meet me for a couple days of car camping. I usually don't pay much attention to campgrounds when I head out on trips, and felt embarrassingly unsure of what campground to suggest. Something with decent access to trails and not screaming busy would be ideal. I remember Twin Lakes up near Bridgeport had pretty easy access to scenery, but that's a bit of a drive. Ideally something no further north than the 120, since ultimately we are both heading south afterwards.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Nicest east-side trailhead campground?

Post by sparky »

pick a favorite?! No way! I like them all, even the lower elevation/desert camps with hardly any shade. Its all good.

but i see what your fishin' for.

Try the campgrounds right there off the 168....the campground at north lake seems quieter. Or if you want a change of scenery from bishop the camping around mammoth lakes are nice, but more crowded...also close to luxeries of town. Convict is awesome....as long as you have a site on the creek. I also like the campground up big pine creek.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Nicest east-side trailhead campground?

Post by LMBSGV »

I'm with Sparky on choosing a favorite. For trail access, North Lake is at the trailhead for Lamarck Lakes/Col and Piute Pass with nice sites. It's first-come, but one or two of the walk-in sites along the creek are usually not occupied. Onion Valley is reservable and is at the Kearsarge Pass trailhead.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com