mineral king ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

mineral king ?

Post by overheadx2 »

Headed up to Mineral King next week with my brother and his daughter (who has been on several 3 dayers) for a Loop over timber gap to Bearpaw HSC where we have a cabin for a night and then back down Big Arroyo and over Sawtooth Pass. Fishing isn't a huge issue and photos are a higher priority, so would you camp at Little Five or Big five Lakes? Is there much of a difference in views? Also, any one know about the marmots? do I need to wrap my car? Thanks, Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: mineral king ?

Post by maverick »

Also, any one know about the marmots? do I need to wrap my car?
Yes, for piece of mind Phil. Check several previous threads on this subject.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11505&hilit=minera ... ots#p86777
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7798&hilit=mineral+ ... ots#p56385
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6059&hilit=mineral+ ... ots#p40933
Fishing isn't a huge issue and photos are a higher priority, so would you camp at Little Five or Big five Lakes?
Definitely Little Five Lakes, and not Lake 10476, but the second lake cluster north of the one containing the ranger station, you will love the views. Unfortunately Big Five Lakes are boxed in with ridge lines to the north, south, and west, the views become more, more restrictive as you leave the trail into the basin heading west.
The Kaweah Ridge is the highlight in this area, and the Little Five Lakes show cases this much better then the Big Five Lakes for a photographer.

Take time during the day, to scout out optimal golden hour locations, instead of running around at sunset/sunrise trying to find spots to take photo's from, and loosing out on a beautiful alpineglow, because you could not find a location, and set up in time.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Buford
Topix Acquainted

Post by Buford »

I did the same loop last year. I am not a photographer, but I posted some cell shots and a mini trip report.

I thought Big 5 Lakes was also good though, the lakes with rocky ridges around them were dramatic. Maybe not the best for pictures, but I thought well worth the time to explore.

I thinking catching sunset and alpenglow from Columbine Lake is a must despite the people. Probably great for pictures too.

My biggest regret for the trip was not exploring nine lakes when I was so close.

The Rangers might tell you the marmots are no longer a problem in late July and your car will be fine. I didn't use anything, and only one car was wrapped in late July last year. The problem peaks in spring and early summer. However, if I went back, I would protect my car even after marmot season is supposed to be over. That is a long road to mechanical help. Especially when prevention is cheap, easy and quick.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

My friend and I did a trip up there the last part of June into July. What a beautiful place !!! We saw , maybe 8 people total the entire 6 nights back there. We made a base camp at the lowest lake , in the big 5 lakes. The large upper lake there is very beautiful ,with great photo ops ! But if I had to do it again, I would camp at little 5 lakes, the whole area is amazing !!!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

I agree, I find little 5 lakes area more scenic but thats all opinion, both basins are nice. The lakes Mav mentioned also offer more solitude. I was treated to a storm with an incredible sunset on thunderheads over the kaweahs.