Trees at Lake Aloha

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Trees at Lake Aloha

Post by Brien »

I'm going up there in a couple of weeks and wanted to know what the tree situation is like for my hammock. From what I have seen it appears there aren't a lot of trees so I'm a little concerned. Ideally I'm looking for trees 15' to 20' apart.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trees at Lake Aloha

Post by FeetFirst »

There are trees, but not abundantly so. I usually hang my food out there and always find one suitable. Thus, I think you should be able to find something, but might require a bit of hunting.

Looking west across Aloha from ridge near Cracked Crag:

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

The trees are mainly in the southeast corner, many of them on a fairly steep slope. The flat areas that have trees tend to be moist and grassy with lots of mosquitos during skeeter season. I don't know the current mosquito situation. There are granite slabs and boulders on the very edge of the lake in that corner. Lots of people camp there illegally (they get away with it if they go in when there's still a lot of snow and rangers aren't out in the field yet). With the right climbing gear for anchors, you could string a hammock there. I wouldn't count on getting away with it at the current time. There are some really nice flats uphill from the very southeast corner a quarter mile or so, but the little seasonal streams from snowmelt would all be dry by now.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

The southeast corner is the place to be. Plenty of trees so long as you stay east of the trail, but most of it isn't that flat. I have seen people camping there though. You will probably have to walk 200-400 yards to find water assuming the small streams that flow into the lake around there are now dry. The peninsula west of the trail where we usually camp (if you are careful you can still be the correct distance from water) doesn't have many large trees and is quite busy, so it would probably be quite hard to find a good place for a hammock. Some photos from our trip back in April in the snow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12607