Crossing Silliman Crest

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jacobus2
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Crossing Silliman Crest

Post by Jacobus2 »

I am planning a trip for this August out of Lodgepole in Sequoia Nat'l Park that will take us up Silliman Creek, across Silliman Crest south of Mt. Silliman, to Crescent Lake. We will then continue to the Tableland and eventually come out at Wolverton. I'm hoping someone has experience crossing Silliman Crest and is willing to offer advice, because that's the sketchiest part of my planned route. The lowest point in the Crest appears to be one of two notches immediately SE of Mt Silliman, at just under 11,000 ft. But the backside of those notches appear to be quite steep chutes. About 1400 ft further SE, at 11,040 ft elevation (a bit higher) is another notch - similar pitch ascending but less steep on the backside than the chutes to the NW. This is at 036.38.21.40 x 118.41.26.51.

Advice anyone, please? Thanks!

- Rick
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Crossing Silliman Crest

Post by Bluewater »

I'm also interested in any input from someone who has crossed that ridge. I plan on taking that route in a few weeks. It is the start of the KCHBR and Skurka describes taking the notch just above and to the southeast of the tarn above Silliman Lake, then contouring over toward the ridge and following it to Lake 11,200 and eventually Lonely Lake etc. He has a tendency to under rate some very difficult sections in other parts of the route, but he doesn't mention anything difficult about the section on the south side of the notch just to the south/southeast of Mt Silliman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jacobus2
Topix Novice

Post by Jacobus2 »

Bluewater-

Just to be clear, though we are both talking about crossing Silliman Crest you are heading off in a different direction than me. Sounds like you want to go through the lowest notch of all of them, which indeed is SE of the tarn above Silliman Lake, and it looks straightforward. My goal is Crescent Lake, slightly N of E of Mt. Silliman, and so the notches I am looking at are either NE of the tarn or the one due E of the tarn. I hope someone with experience of any of these routes chimes in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Also when you get the time an intro would be appreciated: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329

PS Here is a thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9844&p=74172&hilit= ... ake#p74076
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jacobus2
Topix Novice

Post by Jacobus2 »

Hi Maverick-

Thanks for your reply. I did already read the thread you pointed me to, but it does not include any first-hand knowledge of which "notch" to recommend over Silliman Crest, so I'm still looking for that.

Not sure where you'd like me to introduce myself, so here goes:
My buddies and I (4 or 5 of us) refer to ourselves as the "Creeky Ski Team". We're now in our early 60's so we refer to ourselves as old geezers, but we're in good shape and have gained a lot of experience over the years. We like to ski together in the winter (often "side country" or backcountry in search of powder) and backpack in the summer. Our main BP trip each summer will typically be 5 days, cover only 30-35 miles (over even less), but will be almost all off-trail. We are quite comfortable with Class 2 with backpacks, but find ourselves less and less interested in Class 3 stuff, even for day hikes (I did summit Mt. Lyell a few years ago and have done quite a lot of Class 3). We like to fish (but not required), we like high altitude terrain, often staying above 10k for days, we've been all over the place in the southern high sierras especially.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jacob,

The link to the "Intro" thread was included in my previous post, but thank you for including this. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I'm not sure how set you are on crossing silliman crest in that exact spot but I crossed from Little Lakes over to Crescent Lakes a few weeks ago, rock climbed Mt. Silliman's north face and then went back down Silliman Creek to Wolverton.

I think Little Lakes were prettier than Silliman Lakes and if you cross over straight north of the lake it's class two. Trying to cross any closer to Mt. Silliman will be more difficult since there is a sharp ridge running up to Silliman. This route will also save you some elevation change and avoid the long slab hike up the last bit of silliman creek.
20150616_0006.jpg
Anyway, if you're set on following Silliman Creek the whole way then that wasn't very helpful, but it's just a thought.

Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jacobus2
Topix Novice

Post by Jacobus2 »

Thanks for your Little Lakes suggestion. Yes, I have been looking at that as a Plan B if I don't end of comfortable with the Silliman Crest route. It's good to hear from someone who not only has done it, but liked it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PM sent

TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I crossed Silliman Crest from Silliman Lake a couple of years ago (I did that rather than Little Lakes so I could summit Silliman, which is a very worthwhile and short detour). You want the more southeasterly of the two notches, and then the southeasternmost chute from that notch. Steep and loose on the north side--not my favorite kind of stuff. Little Lakes might be an easier crossing, but again, it depends on whether you want to summit Silliman. More route details in my linked trip report. It's a great area--enjoy!