Ice axe needed for Echo Col?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
snowblind
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ice axe needed for Echo Col?

Post by snowblind »

I am going to head over Echo Col in a week or so and was wondering if anyone knows if an ice axe is needed. The late snow has me a bit stumped, but it seems that much of the snow in the general area is nearly gone. I will be spending some time in the Ionian area as well.

Opinions are okay as well. I haven't seen any recent reports.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ice axe needed for Echo Col?

Post by maverick »

I haven't seen any recent reports.
This report has pictures looking into Ionian Basin (6/16), personally I would not take one, maybe take micro spikes (and of course hiking poles), and time my ascents of the passes for when the snow is not to hard, nor to soft. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12300&p=97275#p97275
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
snowblind
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowblind »

Thanks Maverick. I missed that post.
snowblind
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowblind »

No real snow to speak of over Echo and Haeckel Cols...no need for ice axe or micro-spikes.

However, there was snow today on Tioga (even closed it for 3 hours) so things may have changed since last weekend.