Loop from North Lake 6/18-24 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Loop from North Lake 6/18-24 2015

Post by LMBSGV »

Due to being overwhelmed with work, I haven’t had a chance to do more than glance at posts the last few days. Tonight, I finally was able to read this and look at the beautiful photos. As usual, a great trip report, WD. I confess to loving Evolution Valley, but then the two times I’ve camped there have been in an extremely high water year (I was the only person camped in McClure Meadow) and a better than average water year (one other party in McClure Meadow). So I was able to take in with solitude and relative solitude the stunning contrast of the green of Evolution Valley with the gray granite of the Evolution Peaks.

I especially enjoyed and appreciated the McGee Lakes narrative since I’ve only been there once (camped at the second lake) and intend to go again and spend more time, wander the basin, and take the same route over the pass to Sapphire and exit over Lamarck Col. Your trip is a great guide for doing just that and I’ll come back to this post when I'm (hopefully) planning that trip. Thanks for offering your insight and sharing the wonderful photos.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

great report and photos.
have been to much of the area-but not McGee Lakes. looks like a place i'll have to revisit.

thanks again
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Outstanding trip report, WD! Just as I remember it.
It was great hiking with someone so skillful, knowledgeable, and agreeable. I enjoyed the trip immensely.

Here are a few photos that hopefully don't duplicate what you already posted.

-Scott in HB

Forested section of "lower" McGee Basin
01 Lower McGee Basin.jpg
Forested section of "lower" McGee Basin (in the distance) from Darwin Bench
02 McGee Basin from Darwin Bench.jpg
Approaching the Keyhole from the southwest
03 Keyhole from below.jpg
Class 3 section of the Keyhole
04 Keyhole close up.jpg
Mt Humphreys from the northeast end of the Keyhole
05 Mt Humphreys from the Keyhole.jpg
Lake 11,910 west of the Keyhole
06 Lake 11910 from the Keyhole.jpg
Darwin Canyon on the way up to Lamarck Col
07 Darwin Canyon.jpg
Returning to North Lake with White Mountain Peak in the background
08 Return to North Lake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Scott for the fabulous addition, really enjoyed the McGee shot and the Keyhole one, it makes the whole TR even better. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org