Chances of getting a Cottowood Pass permit the night before

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tallkan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tallkan »

Three of us would like to start this Saturday morning out of Cottonwood Pass into Miter Basin. What are the chances there will still be walk-up permits available if we pass by the office late Friday night? How many of you have tried to push it to the last minute like this and been rejected? I was thinking about having Kearsarge pass as my backup, but I would love to finally visit Miter. 50/50 chance? Less? Somebody tell me it's 100% chance so I can get excited!!! :D :D

(At night, I can find self-issue permits at the Inter Agency Visitor center, correct?)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Chances of getting a Cottowood Pass permit the night bef

Post by maverick »

(At night, I can find self-issue permits at the Inter Agency Visitor center, correct?)
Yeah, during off season November 2 to April 30. Friday night (0%), good luck.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Have a look on recreation.gov, where you will be going for permits the rest of the year along with the rest of us. You can request permits you reserve in advance to be left in the night drop.. If you want a try at walk ins you need to show up during office hours. Reservations are canceled at 10 am on the planned entry date so youMIGHT get permits Saturday morning for Saturday if someone doesn't show.

There are actually two spaces left for Friday on that trailhead. Pick a buddy....
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's unlikely you will ever have trouble at that trail head even on really busy weekends. But you can't do self serve. I think more than once I have arrived at the trail head at midnight and then drove back down for a permit or stayed in one of the campgrounds just outside of town and then got one in the morning and went in.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Miter Basin is in SEKI, so no night drop. Rangers are required to read you the rules and regulations in the national parks. You can only get your permit during business hours. Just get there early. I am usually waiting for them to open the gate, and the only others I have ever seen there waiting first thing are getting Whitney permits.

To do a night drop, you have to call during business hours to set up the permit....and they can be stupid about it. I have been screwed by the night drop before