TR: Tehipite Valley - 5/29/15 - 5/31/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Tehipite Valley - 5/29/15 - 5/31/15

Post by Mike M. »

Awesome report! Thanks for posting -- it was a pleasure to read.

Mike
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I went in and out of Tehipite Valley from Crown Valley TH about 1999-2000, then went through on a trip from Roads End to Courtright Reservoir on 09. The climb out of the valley was a long slow one each time, Hay Meadow being the first water I came to. It was like an Oasis, I had been low on water and taking only small sips for some time. I would take a long break there, and fill up on water. Haven't camped there though. Saw a bear right at the park boundary the last time, it saw me and took off in a cloud of dust.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

@maverick
I guess that's true. I know there are several places where I've thought it would be nice if it were easier to get to. Mineral King comes to mind. Then I go to Yosemite Valley, and am reminded what it is like to be somewhere beautiful that is easy to get to. Too many people!

@sekihiker
You're star-struck?! Now you know how I felt when I happend to run into you at Granite Lake in 2005. Good to hear from you though. I hope you enjoyed reading my report as much as I enjoyed reading yours in the past. You getting out anywhere this year? Have you ever made it down there to Tehipite Valley?

@Mike M.
Thanks Mike. Glad you enjoyed it.

@Big Ed
I'm guessing there was more water in Hay Meadow for you than there was for me. I was able to fill up my water bottle for the descent on Day 2, but when I got back that night, I couldn't get much water out of the stream where it crossed the trail. The pre-filter on my MSR Sweetwater kept getting clogged. I had read about there being a campsite at Hay Meadow from a book preview I found on Google a year or so ago. Looks like the book is called "Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks: You Complete Hiking Guide" based on the title at the top of some of the pages. It had a very nice description of the route I ended up taking, and even continues further up the Middle Fork (Google's preview of the book cut off around Devils Washbowl). I figured the bear I saw would be one of the "wild" bears that run away from you when they see you, or at least don't associate people with food like the ones in more heavily used areas do. It was a bit nerve-racking at the time, but after the fact I feel honored to have been able to observe such a wild animal in its native habitat.

I'm heading out to Pioneer Basin this weekend with my mom and 2 dogs. I'll try to post another report after I get back. I hope we don't get into too many thunderstorms...

Matt
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm heading out to Pioneer Basin this weekend with my mom and 2 dogs.
Make sure to check out the most eastern lakes in Pioneer Basin if you get the chance, and have the energy, really pretty.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

Turtleggjp wrote: I'm guessing there was more water in Hay Meadow for you than there was for me. I was able to fill up my water bottle for the descent on Day 2, but when I got back that night, I couldn't get much water out of the stream where it crossed the trail. The pre-filter on my MSR Sweetwater kept getting clogged.
I was using chlorine drops at that time, would have just filled containers, put them in and waited. That's a tough wait when really thirsty. I use the Platypus Gravity Works now, it would have handled the dirty water much better than the Sweetwater. I still have my Sweetwater, but haven't used it in some time. It would start squirting out the side about half way filling a container. That was only in really low water flows though.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Nice trip. Wondering how bad the climbs hurt, haha. Bummed that the trail down there is so crazy. I have always wanted to visit, but between the crazy trail, the snakes, and fear of getting lost, I've never been. Thanks for posting.
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

I didn't find any part of the trail "crazy", I wonder if you went off the trail? At the bottom of the trail it just goes left. I didn't have any trouble finding it, could be time for maintainance by now though.