TR: Tehipite Valley - 5/29/15 - 5/31/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Tehipite Valley - 5/29/15 - 5/31/15

Post by Big Ed »

Turtleggjp wrote: I'm guessing there was more water in Hay Meadow for you than there was for me. I was able to fill up my water bottle for the descent on Day 2, but when I got back that night, I couldn't get much water out of the stream where it crossed the trail. The pre-filter on my MSR Sweetwater kept getting clogged.
I was using chlorine drops at that time, would have just filled containers, put them in and waited. That's a tough wait when really thirsty. I use the Platypus Gravity Works now, it would have handled the dirty water much better than the Sweetwater. I still have my Sweetwater, but haven't used it in some time. It would start squirting out the side about half way filling a container. That was only in really low water flows though.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

Nice trip. Wondering how bad the climbs hurt, haha. Bummed that the trail down there is so crazy. I have always wanted to visit, but between the crazy trail, the snakes, and fear of getting lost, I've never been. Thanks for posting.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I didn't find any part of the trail "crazy", I wonder if you went off the trail? At the bottom of the trail it just goes left. I didn't have any trouble finding it, could be time for maintainance by now though.