Lewis Creek route from Merced to Vogelsang

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pdxhiker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Lewis Creek route from Merced to Vogelsang

Post by pdxhiker »

I am new to HST, looking for some advice to help with my high sierra loop plans next month. I will be hiking the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to the Merced Lake HSC, and then the second day from Merced to Vogelsang. I would love to take the Lewis Creek route to the Vogelsang HSC because I love getting up high, but I am concerned about possible route-finding difficulties since I will be hiking alone. I am 60 year-old female with lots of hiking/climbing experience. With the poor snow conditions here in the Pac NW I have been able to train up high during the last 2 months - long hikes above 5000 ft. I imagine there will be people to tag along with from Merced HSC, but just in case I go it alone, I'd like to feel more confident of the trail conditions.

Any advice on choosing that route over the Fletcher Creek route? Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lewis Creek route from Merced to Vogelsang

Post by maverick »

Hi Pdxhiker,

Welcome to HST! You write that you will be using the JMT, from Tuolumne to ML HSC, is this correct? Even using the Cathedral Creek cut-off, it is still 19.4 miles, quite a bit more if you hike the JMT all the way down to Little Yosemite Valley, are you sure that is what your planning to do in one day?
The Lewis Creek Trail is easy to follow and more scenic then the Fletcher route, Bernice Lake is pretty, and the Florence Creek falls is quite nice. Are you staying at the HSC? Or are you backpacking?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
pdxhiker
Topix Newbie

Post by pdxhiker »

I will be packing light and staying at ML HSC and Vogelsang HSC. When I did the math I came up with approx. 17 miles from the Lower Cathedral Lake TH to Merced HSC (I will not be going to Sunrise). Was I that far off in my calculations?

Thanks for letting me know that the Lewis Creek Trail is easy to follow - none of the guide books have had much to say about it.
maverick wrote:Hi Pdxhiker,

Welcome to HST! You write that you will be using the JMT, from Tuolumne to ML HSC, is this correct? Even using the Cathedral Creek cut-off, it is still 19.4 miles, quite a bit more if you hike the JMT all the way down to Little Yosemite Valley, are you sure that is what your planning to do in one day?
The Lewis Creek Trail is easy to follow and more scenic then the Fletcher route, Bernice Lake is pretty, and the Florence Creek falls is quite nice. Are you staying at the HSC? Or are you backpacking?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

16 miles using the Catherdral Creek route before Sunrise, 18.4 miles using the Upper Merced Trail, which does goes past Sunrise.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The lewis creek trail is in good condition as of 2 years ago. You should have no issues. Why not go TM->Vog->merced->Happy Isles? Drop your vehicle @ happy isles parking lot, ride the park bus up to TM. Once you hit vogelsang its all downhill from there.
pdxhiker
Topix Newbie

Post by pdxhiker »

Thanks Sparky - I'm glad to hear about the Lewis Creek trail conditions from your experience. I would love to do the route you suggested, but I already have reservations at Merced and Vogelsang High Sierra Camps, so I need to do them in that order.

Have a great summer1