TR: Matlock Lake 6/6-7

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Matlock Lake 6/6-7

Post by Captain Slappy »

I'm not sure this is worth a trip report, but I read so much here that I'll contribute it nonetheless. I had planned to do three nights from Onion Valley to Rae Lakes and 60 Lakes Basin. But sometimes when you're hiking partner is a rookie backpacker who is getting her first taste of the Sierra and the hiking pace is slow, it's best to chew off small bites to ensure that there might be a "next time" too. :D

We ended up not making Kearsarge Pass and the lakes on the west side, which were the intended target. Instead, we looked for an alternate camping spot on the east side. I saw a sign for Matlock Lake at one of the trail intersections and it seemed like a great choice since I had never been there before. My GPS program didn't have a marked trail, but it was very easy to follow the obvious route. We pretty much had the lake to ourselves that night, which was a great bonus. We set up camp and had about 20 minutes of light rain followed by about 10 minutes of light snow. The clouds broke as the sun set, though, giving way to a cold evening and brilliant sunrise before the fog started to build once again as we made our way back to Onion Valley. No mosquito bites, no snow on the trail.

Three planned nights turned into one night, and everything else turned into day hikes. But any time in the Sierra is time well spent to me, so no complaints here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Matlock Lake 6/6-7

Post by rlown »

A very nice report. You are right; any time spent in the Sierra is worth it.

Thanks for posting your TR.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Matlock Lake 6/6-7

Post by maverick »

We appreciate all TR's here Captain, not only because all photo's of the Sierra are motivating, but also since TR's give other members an idea of what the current conditions are in a particular area. Thanks :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org