Lodgepole (Sequoia NP) question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lodgepole (Sequoia NP) question

Post by maverick »

I have used front country bear boxes at the trailhead for food/supplies, marked and dated, but would never use a backcountry one. Be forewarned, have heard of peoples food/supplies disappearing, several times (never happened to me), these occured at the more popular trailheads.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: In bear box?

Post by chulavista »

Sierra Miguel wrote:Is there still a post office in Grant Grove (559-335-2499) with better access?
oleander wrote:I could at least leave my food in the bear box, right?
Against regs. Also against regs, you could rent a bear can or two and cache them in the woods near the Wolverton TH.
I think the OP needs to give us more details to provide better suggestions. Is there a car involved or not? What else do you have other than food that needs to be stored?

Storing food in the trailhead boxes is not only within the rules, but is strongly encouraged to avoid bears breaking into cars. The Roads End rangers enforce this more than the Lodgepole rangers. There is a relatively low chance of someone removing your food if you are gone a week.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Here's what I'm up to:

I'm doing two back-to-back trips out of the Wolverton/Crescent Meadow area. The first trip, to Tablelands, is with friends. It's their car. During that time, I would store the food for my *second* trip in a bear locker at one of the trailheads - assuming this is legal, which I'm now unclear on. If it's not legal, then I guess I need to mail that food to myself at Lodgepole post office.

In addition, I always have some "car clothes," maybe sandals, towel, soap, my cell phone...Items that are not taken backpacking, and are not food. Those non-food items I can leave in their car, during the first trip.

When they exit Tablelands, they may be driving away with our only car. I have a reservation to stay at Lodgepole Campground on my layover night.

The question is where the heck to store my "car clothes," cell phone, etc. during my second trip. (The second trip is the HST meet-up!) It seems to me that these are my choices:

1. Find an employee - ranger, campground host, store, lodge, wherever - who's willing to store them. Anywhere in the Lodgepole/WolvertonCrescent Meadow/Waksuchi environs would probably work. The shuttle bus will get me around.
2. Store them (non-food items) illegally in a trailhead bear locker. (I wouldn't do this).
3. Send most of them home with my friends, the day they leave.
4. Keep them for another night so that I can use them for my shower, etc., then mail them home the next day, before I hit the trail.
5. Lug them all the way to Kaweah Basin and back.
6. In the unlikely event that I hike to Kaweah Basin with the same HST person on the exact same entry and exit trailheads and dates, I could perhaps ask that person to store my stuff in their car. Not fond of this option, as it ties someone down to me and my schedule.

I don't want y'all to think too hard on this. Mostly I just wanted some ideas for #1 above, as that would be my preference - finding someone locally to store my stuff. Should I try the lodge?

7. Option 7 is that I'll just drive my own car to the trailhead, so it'll be waiting for me at my exit. That option is looking more and more likely as I consider logistics not limited to just storing my car items.

I also do want to understand whether I can really store my food in the trailhead bear locker or not. I guess I will call the park and see what they say.

- Elizabeth
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I agree that there is no problem with storing all your stuff in the typical trail head bear boxes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Okay Lisa,

I called a friend at SEKI NP, it is legal to store your food/supplies, at/in the trailhead bear boxes. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

maverick wrote:I called a friend at SEKI NP, it is legal to store your food/supplies, at/in the trailhead bear boxes. :nod:
Food, yes, toothpaste, yes. But "supplies" - what does that mean? That I could put clothes in there, too? (Assuming I would even want to.)

It would seem to me that putting clothing in there (in addition to risking it being stolen) would stuff the bear lockers too full to fit everyone's food in high season.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Not sure why you would need to put clothing in there but I wouldn't worry about it. Lockers are first come first serve.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

franklin411 wrote:I think SEKI is too close to Fresno to get decent Rangers.
What a wonderfully ignorant, and arrogant, statement. =D>
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

franklin411 wrote:I think SEKI is too close to Fresno to get decent Rangers
Workers come from all over, not just the local area. And we have some very good people in Fresno, don't believe all the stereotypes.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

maverick wrote:have heard of peoples food/supplies disappearing, several times (never happened to me), these occured at the more popular trailheads.
Anyone can drive to a trailhead, this includes people that don't know what a trailhead or bear locker is. I've seen people think they're trash cans, and are befuddled by my explanation of what they are. This doesn't even include people that don't care and will take anything that isn't bolted down. For this reason I don't leave resupplies in them.