Lodgepole (Sequoia NP) question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Lodgepole (Sequoia NP) question

Post by WarrenFork »

AlmostThere wrote: I've never lived more than two hours from the central Sierra, and there is a reason for that. I live there. I may reside somewhere lower, but you just don't get to leave if it's really your home.
I hear you. I've come and gone, but for the past dozen years I've been able to walk out my front door and all the way up to the crest before dark if I set my mind to it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Just read this thread for the first time including your last post oleander. Think out of the box. What I am going to suggest will be viewed as a gray area per policy. But can solve your dilemma. If numbers of people began to do this kind of thing authorities would likely write policy against such. If only a few just yawns. No doubt someone may get bent out of shape and have a knee jerk response regardless and say it is trashing or something which will just be BS to my ears. Of course people have been caching Garcias for years in the backcountry. And in Yosemite Valley not a few climbers have over decades stashed gear up in awkward talus areas where no one ever looks. As long as one does so temporarily within a short period I see no issues.

So store your food in the front country inside Garcia canisters. And put them out of sight where there is zero chance anyone is ever going to notice them. For this person that would be a simple task because there are actually vast areas right next to roads where no one ever walks. For instance in steep brushy areas on the low slope side of roads where there are no pullouts nearby for some distance. Where foot travel is unpleasant.

For your personal stuff same thing but seal it in a daypack and put the daypack in a clean black garbage bag that you duct tape close the top so it is 100% sealed. I actually occasionally do the later when stashing valuables like money, wallet, car keys, camera lens, etc instead of leaving such inside my vehicles for days at trailheads. In such cases may carry it up from a trailhead say a quarter mile to someplace absolutely no one ever has a reason to be walking about and do so. Peace of mind. In 2013 when 2 of us went over Sawtooth Pass in Mineral King for a week, we stashed our wallets, keys like this up along the trail before the first mile in a brushy area. And no it was not close to a trail as I tend to wander well away. No critters have ever bothered my stuff because it won't have any food smells. Just make sure you record where on a paper so there is zero chance of forgetting.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

back in the early 80s I lived in Clovis. My neighbor was a back country Ranger who also did winter snow surveys. H e usually patrolled on horseback. I wish I could remember his name.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
GraceC89
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by GraceC89 »

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes of getting some more info about the current status of the Lodgepole post office. The SEKI website says that it's closed, and Rogue Photonic's posts seem to confirm that there aren't any employees there (at least not regularly). I'm hoping to pick up a resupply package there in late August, but it's not looking promising... Does anyone have recent experiences with the Lodgepole PO? Alternately, does anyone have creative ideas about how I could mail a resupply package to Lodgepole if the post office is in fact defunct?

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Also on the website at http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/postoffice.htm It says there is another PO.
There are two post offices in the parks. Outside Sequoia Park, about seven miles west of the entrance on Hwy 198 at Ash Mountain is the Three Rivers Post Office.

At Lodgepole Village:
The Post Office located behind the main Lodgepole Visitor Center and Market has closed and will no longer be staffed. The lobby is open 24 hours for dropping off letters and postcards only (with postage). No postage stamps available. For backpacking resupply packages: Use the Grant Grove Post Office mailing address below for a resupply point.

At Grant Grove Village:
The Post Office is north of the visitor center and gift shop in the same building as the market. Hours vary. Lobby available 24 hours for dropping off letters and postcards only (with postage). Address visitor mail and backpackers' resupply packages to: c/o General Delivery, Kings Canyon NP, CA 93633. 559-335-2499

The Nearest Post Office Outside Sequoia National Park
Located at 40857 Sierra Drive (Highway 198) in Three Rivers, CA 93271, 7 miles west of the park entrance. 559-561-4261
GraceC89
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by GraceC89 »

Yup, saw that, but I figured that it meant that packages would be mailed to and held at Grant Grove (although correct me if I'm wrong!). I wouldn't be opposed to going in to Grant Grove, but it doesn't look like the NPS or any private concessionaire operates a shuttle between Lodgepole and Grant Grove. I'm planning to call around on Monday morning to see if any employees can tell me if it's possible to mail a package to Grant Grove but have it waiting at Lodgepole. I'll report back, but first hand experiences from you all are always the best advice!