TR Minaret Lake - 5/29/15 - 5/30/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
clevelandc88
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR Minaret Lake - 5/29/15 - 5/30/15

Post by clevelandc88 »

I couldn't have picked a better time to backpack to Minaret Lake. It was absolutely gorgeous. Was really surprised to see the lake half frozen still. While the ranger station advised me that I would need an ice axe and crampons, I ended up not using either. Had I done the loop up to Cecil Lake and back to Agnew Meadows, I definitely would have needed them. However, I forgot my fuel and wasn't interested in eating cold mush, so I spent just one night and packed back out to Devil's Postpile the following morning. Overall a pretty easy, but surprisingly long trail to Minaret Lake. The trail itself is pretty boring in my opinion, but the falls at the half-way mark are pretty amazing. Once you get to Minaret lake, the scenery is stunning. Some of the best I've seen in the Sierra. Hope you enjoy the pictures below! BTW, a lot of great campsites around Minaret Lake.

Last edited by clevelandc88 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR Minaret Lake - 5/29/15 - 5/30/15

Post by cahiker »

Gorgeous photos! Thanks for posting. I was there at the end of July last year and the lake is even more scenic with the snow.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Was there years ago in similar conditions - your post brought back some fond memories. Love the photos! Thanks for sharing
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Those pictures are amazing !!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for taking the time to write up a report. Been up to all the Ritter Range areas many times. Many secrets to be had by those exploring about. The Minarets are certainly one of the High Sierra's most impressive features.

http://www.summitpost.org/minarets-from ... 3/c-170866

Doesn't get any more otherworldly on our planet than from the east shores of Minaret Lake with all the colorful swirly metavolcanic geology. Outstanding areas for base camping at with tremendous day hiking and peakbagging possibilities. Most aesthetic time to visit those areas after normal winters is late July thru early August as that is when Pierson's paintbrush cover the turfy meadows and snows are more patchy on the peaks.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Minarets_20 ... _2006.html
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Superb area that you captured wonderfully. :thumbsup:

Forgetting fuel for the stove sucks. Especially when the mercury is dipping low. Well, at least know that you're not alone on that one... ](*,)
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Chris! Thanks for another fabulous TR and photo's.
When you find some time, an intro would be appreciated: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
clevelandc88
Topix Novice

Post by clevelandc88 »

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I will hopefully be posting my next trip report soon for Piute Pass to Desolation Lake. I will also make sure to stop by the introduction page.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

hey,that looks amazing...Can you tell me what trailhead and other logistics?thanks,i will have to go there. :D
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
clevelandc88
Topix Novice

Post by clevelandc88 »

Hi DAVELA,

The trail starts from Devils Postpile. It's a pretty easy and straightforward hike as far as steepness and elevation gain. The trail is pretty well maintained, with a few tricky spots around Minaret Lake where it's easy to lose it. Around this time of year, I think you can only access Devils Postpile via the shuttle from 7am-7pm, but you can drive down there yourself outside of those hours.