Permit Challenges

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Permit Challenges

Post by tlsharb »

So on August 1st I'm hopping a plane in Boston to come hike the Sierra. Here's the problem. We arrive in Sacramento at 1pm, and were hoping to hit Courtright Reservoir by 7pm and get up to Hobler Lake that evening (eventually into Bench Valley and Blackcap). The question-- I doubt we will make Prather by closing time (5pm), so do we really have to wait till the next morning till it opens to get a permit. Even if you reserve one, it still has to be picked up in person according to the website. I read many TRs here of folks showing up at 3am and hiking. How do they handle the permit issue?
Thanks much, terry
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Permit Challenges

Post by AlmostThere »

Ask the ranger in Prather. There is an office in Dinkey Creek at the resort - they may have a night drop as the other offices do and it's on the way to Courtright. I make use of night drops often to pick a permit up the day before, but after hours, then camp near the trailhead for an early start. Not sure if you can have them leave it in the night drop for the same day, but, it's worth asking.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Yes--I've found the permit people at Prather quite helpful. They've offered to leave a permit for me in the night box outside, but I've always arrived just in time to pick it up before they close. Nice people. They are there to help, and they act like it.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Permit Challenges

Post by gabe&mel »

I've been out near courtright and wishon several times, all permits from the Prather ranger station and I agree they are incredibly helpful and friendly.

On 5/3/15 I made the drive up from Orange County and wasn't sure I'd be able to pick up my permit in time , when I called and inquired about them leaving permit in drop box I distinctly remember them saying that it was a service that they only offer at certain times per year. For the life of me I can't remember if we were to early or too late, but in any event we were just outside of the window. Luckily we got to Prather in time. Id call to see what they can do for you.

Best of luck. Look forward to reading how your trip goes.

Gabe
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Well, I called the office up in Prather, and they were extremely helpful. The gal said, "our job is to get you on the trail, not keep you off it". So I told we'd probably be showing up around 3pm, and she said no problem holding the permits till we get there. Mt Reinstein, here I come :).
ts