TR Emigrant Wilderness 5/30-5/31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Emigrant Wilderness 5/30-5/31

Post by venturefar »

I hiked in to the the Emigrant Lakes area to do a little scouting. There is much more snow than I had expected to find. There is still plenty of snow on brown bear pass making it a little treacherous when everything is frozen early in the morning. Emigrant Meadow Lake is still about half frozen and High Emigrant is still almost completely frozen. There were no bugs in the basin but there were a few noticeable on the trail between relief Reservoir and Sheep Camp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@aguabonita
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR Emigrant Wilderness 5/30-5/31

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the TR and pictures, very helpful to those considering visiting the area in the next couple of weekends. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Thanks for sharing the trail report. I have gone over Brown Bear Pass many times and it doesn't surprise there is still that much snow. Even in a especially in a dry year. But people don't realize that Leavitt Lake gets a lot of snow and its just right over the hill. In fact, I have been tracking snow sensors for years and Leavitt Lake gets more snow than any other in the Sierras. I just looked today and its the only one that has snow on it. I bet you were up there early to try to see if you could catch a lunker right after ice-out. I know I have done it before. Thanks again for sharing.

Teaxn
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for that TR ! I've been itching to get up there. It's going to take a little time to thaw out up there.
Plumgold1
Topix Novice

Post by Plumgold1 »

Well I've been lurking this forum for a while...Sorry for a lame first post but.....My buddies and I had planned a trip to granite dome....in search of a specific fish :unibrow: anyways these pics of high emigrant being frozen over just turned my plans upside down...I think its something like 8800 elevation at emigrant lake ...Granite dome peaks at 10k+...add in the lightning and rain forecast and my head is spinning. SO i guess my question is...how likely is it that the lakes by granite dome are frozen over? Thanks for your report and look forward to contributing to the community with my own trs and pics.
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

Plumgold1 wrote:Well I've been lurking this forum for a while...Sorry for a lame first post but.....My buddies and I had planned a trip to granite dome....in search of a specific fish :unibrow: anyways these pics of high emigrant being frozen over just turned my plans upside down...I think its something like 8800 elevation at emigrant lake ...Granite dome peaks at 10k+...add in the lightning and rain forecast and my head is spinning. SO i guess my question is...how likely is it that the lakes by granite dome are frozen over?
There are no goldens in any of the lakes on granite dome anymore. They were planted in the past, but TRs from recent years are reporting only rainbows and brookies. See giantbrookie's reply to this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3210&p=19029&hilit= ... ome#p19029

As far as the lakes being frozen I think they will remain at iced up for at least another week or so.
@aguabonita
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

I was up in that area a few years back, and I did catch and release a really nice hybrid. But there probably all rainbows now.