Over The Phone Permits?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Over The Phone Permits?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Has anyone ever placed a permit over the phone before? I'm hoping to go backpacking sometime within the next two weeks in Yosemite (Porcupine Creek Trailhead to North Dome), but don't have time to get up to Yosemite. It appears FAX and Phone are the fastest ways to get that done.

I know I'm pushing it close, and have more options available in case the trailhead is too used (if that's the right way to put it), but from my understanding it usually isn't so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Does anyone recommend doing it this way? Have any issues?

Thanks
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Over The Phone Permits?

Post by old and slow »

I used to make my permit reservations by fax as recommended on the Yosemite Wilderness Permit Reservation website (and never had any problems) but the last several times I have simply called (209) 372-0740, trying just a few times if the line is busy. I had all the required information ready and it was a very easy process every time. It was actually nice talking to someone for a change.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Looking at the full trailhead page -
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf
You will notice Porcupine Creek is not one of the popular trailheads - only a few dates listed as of today as full for the upcoming season... mostly wide open, (and that's just the 60% reserved places.) Always nice to visit the Arch and North Dome but better to stay either on the overlook just below the Snow Creek bridge...(IMHO, same views as North Dome but has water), or continue on to top of Yosemite Falls.

You could call up or do the online thing - reserving it for certain always a good idea...maybe you will have success, but usually the reservation phone is always busy/ or not answered/ or a clueless idiot answers... (BTW, these wilderness reservations, at this time of the year - early season, are not handled inside the park by knowledgeable Rangers) and invariably this "late date" reservation process leads to major hassles. (Costs too.)

However, (as coincidentally, doing the same hike as my warm-up hike this year too - next Thursday), you could just as easily show up at TM Permit Office the day before and just bag one there easily, and for free too. Do not foresee any problems - if you are a one or a two - and starting out mid-week...my plan anyway.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ndwoods »

Actually by phone is how I've done all of my permits for Yosemite in the past....:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;