Rae Lakes Loop 5/24

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bustinwheels
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rae Lakes Loop 5/24

Post by bustinwheels »

We, hubby and two friends just came back from Rae Lakes (counter-clock), 5/24. The weather during the day was not too bad, but about 3 pm every day since last Friday when we arrived the clouds rolled in quickly and it rained on us. The rain was at times a heavy drizzle, but it was the cold temps that we're chilling at night. Bubbas creek was overflowing (no sign of drought in the Sequoias). My friend Rebecca lost her balance at soaked her feet in bubba...pack extra socks everyone!
So yesterday in the afternoon we were preparing to go over Glenn's pass and some friendly campers told us there was no need for ice axes to get across Glenn's pass in the afternoon since the snow was melting from the sun. Of course, the good news passed since it started snowing on us at 7 pm and did not stop until about 5 -am...it was a new experience for us and it was literally around 25 degrees. When I opened the tent up there was snow EVERYWHERE. we knew there was no way we could make it over Glenn and by now we were beat up. Wet wood doesn't burn easily either. Don't get me wrong, the trip was fabulous, just harder work than ever before in the extreme weather conditions. We turned back at around 730 -am Sunday and hiked 14 miles to roads end. :lol: the clouds started rolling in again around 3 pm and they were moving fast. The trail was not crowded. There was plenty of water and we did not encounter any bears. :thumbsup: saw lots of dear and met some very nice people. WARNING, LOTS OF POISON OAK ON THE TRAIL. Pictures...I'll post when I get home.
:lol: Olivia C
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Rae Lakes Loop

Post by maverick »

Hi Bustinwheels,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for coming back and posting you experience. Very wise decision in turning back!
When you get time, we would appreciate an intro: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Re: Rae Lakes Loop

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the conditions update bustinwheels! Good thing you turned back, . . . looking forward to any pictures:).
GSDad
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes Loop 5/24

Post by GSDad »

I did about half of the Rae Lakes Loop from 5/26 to 5/29 and had a very different experience (sounds like we just missed the snow)! We went clockwise and got as far as the bear box below Fin Dome (just before Rae Lakes). Good trail conditions, minimal mosquitos, and perfectly clear weather. Everyone coming down from the pass said it was slushy and some post holing, but that the trail was easy to follow.

A little icy dew on our tend when we woke up at 10,500, but when the sun peeked over the ridge it warmed up quickly.