Best x-c route Clyde Lake to Island Lake, Desolation ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Best x-c route Clyde Lake to Island Lake, Desolation ?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I basically want to get from Mosquito Pass/Clyde Lake (upper Rubicon) directly over the crest to Island Lake. I have climbed Mt Price and I remember one can get over on that shoulder (and perhaps down the ridge directly to Mosquito Pass), but going over the crest to the rib between Gertrude Lake basin and Island Lake, and then dropping steeply to Island Lake, looks a bit easier as well as less snow, according to Google Earth. Anyone done this?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best x-c route Clyde Lake to Island Lake, Desolation ?

Post by wildhiker »

I did the direct route from Mosquito Pass to Island Lake last summer. We started at Mosquito Pass and cllimbed up on the ridge heading southwest. Biggest problem was finding a spot to get up the first 50 feet - we started a bit south of the actual Mosquito Pass. Then easy walking on granite outcrops and slabs up the ridge until you are about at the level of the pass directly between Clyde and Island Lakes to your north (about 8800'). Just contour over staying above the cliffs - there are some meadowy patches in here. We then dropped directly west down from the pass to the east side of Island Lake. This was a bit steep, but solid footing. There is supposed to be a route on ledges around the head of the cirque above Island Lake, and I think I used those on a trip back in 1975, but I couldn't find the ledges from the pass. They may start further north on the ridge. Once down, circle around Island Lake on the north side to find the trail.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for that information. My only concern would be snow on your route. Google Earth shows that there is a lot more snow south of Island Lake on the ridge of Price, than north. I will be able to see the route once I get to Mosquito Pass early next week. Otherwise, I may have to pick a route farther north to avoid the snow. Good to know that others have successfully gone over the crest.

July 17, 2011 Clyde Lake. Big snow year! Certainly less now, but probably still quite a few snow patches.

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... merge1.jpg[/rimg]
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I've taken a similar route as described above by wildhiker, but in reverse from Island to Clyde Lake. I believe I have some pictures from the top of the pass that shows the terrain, on both sides, quite well. Although, I went in late summer and I don't recall dealing with any snow. I'll have to check my external hard drive when I get home.

Here's a picture taken from the northwestern side of Island Lake looking east towards the pass (low point):

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

WD,

All I have to offer is a picture of the east side of the pass taken back in the middle of April. This picture was shot from the summit of Jacks Peak.
075.JPG
If you make this trip, please report back what you find.

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.