Entering JMT from Parker Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nkane
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Entering JMT from Parker Pass

Post by nkane »

Hi Folks,

I've been planning a JMT trip with my girlfriend for the end of August. Lurking this board has been phenomenally useful for figuring many of the subtleties of trip planning. And the Map! Damn that map is awesome.

I do have one question for which a search has not yet revealed the answer.

We got permits to enter at Parker/Mono Pass. The plan is to hike to Alger Lakes on Day 1, and then join the JMT on day 2. The question is where.

A couple people in various parts of the Internet mention joining the JMT on the Rush Creek trail. But that looks to me like it involves a serious backtrack. Why not continue south-southeast through the maze of trails surrounding Gem Lake and Agnew Pass, and meet up with the JMT at Garnet Lake? Is there extra elevation going that way? Is it on pack trails that really suck? I'd love any insight into this confusing area of the trail.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Entering JMT from Parker Pass

Post by markskor »

Sitting here in Mammoth - tried to get over Tioga just now but closed - again.
Anyway to answer your question, yes, you could re-join the Muir at Garnet - once over Parker, there are many options - some a little more up-n-down than others but all relatively easy-to-follow, well-marked trails, but then, doing it your way, you would miss 1000 Island. It may seem that going back a little west - past Waugh (a bog BTW) looks like backtracking - but all mostly downhill trail to Island Pass - (easy) and then that stretch Rush Creek - 1000 ISL - Garnet... some of the most memorable country to be found along the entire JMT.
Are you in a hurry?
Mountainman who swims with trout
nkane
Topix Newbie

Post by nkane »

We're trying to do the trail in 14 days, so efficiency is a consideration. It would also be nice to build up enough of a cushion to do one or two SHR excursions down the road.

But it sounds like both ways work! That's good to know and gives us a couple options to think about.

I would welcome any other perspectives.
andymorgosh
Topix Novice

Post by andymorgosh »

I hiked the JMT back in 2009. 1000 Island Lake was one of the highlights of the entire trip and probably the most beautiful lake I have ever been to. It's as close to a don't miss as you can get. In short, I second what markskor said.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

+1 on going around Waugh Lake to catch the JMT at Rush creek. Going over Island Pass and dropping down into 1000 Island from there is something you must do, one of the iconic spots on the JMT for a good reason. If your schedule is tight, get up early for a couple days to make up for the few extra miles.
nkane
Topix Newbie

Post by nkane »

Wow, it looks like opinion is unanimous! We'll strongly consider this when making our final plans.

Thanks, everyone!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi nkane,

Welcome to HST! Will also add my endorsement for you not to miss 1000 Is Lake, it really is that pretty. Be sure to also
visit Ediza, one of the prettiest lakes with a trail to it in the Sierra.
When you get the time an intro would be appreciated: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org