Heading to the Sierras in July, what do you think?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AndyMac321
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Heading to the Sierras in July, what do you think?

Post by AndyMac321 »

I hiked the JMT in 2013 and am planning on revisiting some of the trail this summer. And exploring some off the trail as well.

Comfortable with Class 3 and am about a level 3 hiker...

I'm planning on going over Lamark Col into Darwin Canyon and meeting the trail in Evolution Basin. I'll follow the trail over Muir Pass and then climb the Black Giant. Then rejoin the trail and leave it again to get to Dusy Basin. I am thinking of them heading over one of the three passes to Palisade Basin and working my way to Palisade lake to meet with the trail again. Once over Mather Pass I don't have any side trips planned until 60 lakes basin and Gardiner Basin. Probably head over Gardiner Pass and head to Charlotte Lake and then make my exit over Kearsarge Pass.
Has anyone done any of these side trips? Any suggestions between Palisade Lake and Rae Lakes that would be worth checking out?
Planning on a total of 10-14 days.
Thanks in advance!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Heading to the Sierras in July, what do you think?

Post by Ska-T »

Lake Basin is a nice place to visit, but you will need to take a cross country pass to get there from Upper Basin and one to return so it will take some time.

Mountains to climb on the way between Palisade Lakes and Rae Lakes include Split Mtn (a class 2 14ner) and the two peaks in one climb Mt Wynne and Mt Pinchot. Be mindful that the ridge between the two is class 3.

-Scott