Mammoth Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mammoth Pass

Post by mkbgdns »

I know that Mom Nature has a few more tricks up her sleeve this year. I hightailed it out of upper Rock Creek last Thursday, and woke to !5" of snow at Lee Vining Friday morning (I measured!). That said, with the road opening to Reds Meadow now delayed until 5/22 (weather permitting), I'm considering coming in through the back door over Mammoth Pass, heading out Sunday or Monday. Obviously, I'll be calling the Forest Service Station for updates, but anyone up that way have a comment on current conditions? Inyo lists the Lake Mary Road as open, but does anyone know if it'a open all the way to the Horseshoe Lake trailhead? Anyone been up that way since last week's dump? Looks like 20-30% chance of precip from Sunday through Friday of Labor Day weekend.

I'm a level 2-3 hiker, comfortable with class 2 terrain, now a Master's Hiker (swim talk for "senior"), but not looking for the thrill of a dangerous situation mastered. I'll be alone, won't be taking chances. Yeah, I know going alone is taking a chance…I've grown careful.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mammoth Pass

Post by markskor »

Road open and dry to George today - was going to fish backside but cold piercing winds - did not go to Horseshoe.
But, another storm forecast says maybe another foot this weekend...last one melted off quick but still posthole-ish conditions, north-facing and shaded - 9,500 - 10,000.
Not the best time to go out
Mountainman who swims with trout