TR: Rae Lakes Loop May 8 - May 11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Rae Lakes Loop May 8 - May 11

Post by Hobbes »

jenreyn wrote:NWS just hoisted Winter Storm Watch for this Thursday. Another foot of snow expected. Also, at this point, another storm to follow through after this one.....I was thinking of doing this loop here in the coming weeks however will have to see what happens with the new snow.
jkl123, that is great information. Jen, exactly - it's looking like a no go until at least Fri 5/22:

I spoke to an Inyo ranger yesterday who said the HM parking lot was melted out the next day after this recent storm. JKL's photos also indicate the coverage isn't too bad, so the gamble will be the next storm doesn't alter the basic pack to any great extent.

Mav, over the last few years doing quickie, early season SOBO JMT section hikes, I must sound like a crotchety broken record advising NOBO PCTers I come across to hit the passes early in the am. Do they listen? No way - if it's the afternoon, they're not laying up to wait an extra day. LOL - until they posthole a sprained ankle.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Rae Lakes Loop May 8 - May 11

Post by maverick »

Snow is expected all the way thru the 19th according to the NWS in the Glen Pass area Hobbes, possibly
beyond that date (only shows 1 week ahead):

Tonight:
Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.

Wednesday:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday Night:
Partly cloudy, with a low around 22. Windy, with a west southwest wind 20 to 30 mph decreasing to 10 to
20 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

Thursday:
Snow showers likely, mainly after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32.
Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow
accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Thursday Night:
Snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. West northwest wind
10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Friday:
Snow showers likely, mainly before 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31.
West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night:
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
North northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.
North northwest wind 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday Night:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Calm wind becoming north northeast around 5 mph after midnight.

Sunday:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 41.
South wind around 10 mph.

Sunday Night:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light west in the evening.

Monday:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 41.
South southeast wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the morning.

Monday Night:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.
South southeast wind around 10 mph.

Tuesday:
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 43. South
southwest wind around 10 mph.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org