SHR North-South July 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SHR North-South July 2015

Post by edhyatt »

Yes the TRT is the Tahoe Rim Trail. I'm doing that before heading off to the Sierra.

I hear you on the jet-lag; I am flying into Reno and will spend a couple of days there sorting gear, buying food, sorting bounce box and so on before I head off to the Tahoe Rim Trail. Then I am back with a few days before heading off to attempt the SHR (another acronym :whistle: ).

Thanks for the info. re: legality; the whole permit system, quotas, and 'camping' zone thing is not usual for a Brit.

I'm quite happy to deviate from my plans (often do) - as I see it the SHR is an 'idea', not a line on a map. There is little lightning of a serious nature like you guys have in Scotland - but I think I know what to look for - there were a lot of thunder-heads forming much of the time when I did the Colorado Trail in 2013.

Appreciate the help.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago I climbed with a gal from Scotland. She said a bad weather day in the Sierra is like a normal day in Scotland. We really are weather-wimps out here! Big difference in lightning in the Sierra vs. Rockies, is that the storms usually come in from the southwest in the Rockies. In the Sierra, monsoonal storms (usually of longer duration) come up from the south on the east side. Briefer storms are more likely to develop on the west side. So you can get hit from either side.

I got my permit from the Hoover Wilderness station just out of Bridgeport. I had two copies of my route plan for the entire trip. One gets attached to your permit and one stays in their office. If you do not offer this, it is a tedious process of hand-writing all the days on the permit form. It took me all of 5 minutes to get my permit. Another good reason to go north-to-south. Faster then permits issued from Roads End. The trail you start from is little used so there is no need to reserve a permit. The walk-in permits are free. The only reason I would ever reserve is if I planned to pick up the permit when the office was closed. Most FS offices will put the permit in an outside box to be picked up after hours. Good luck on your trip! If I see a bald Brit with a broken nose hitching at a trail head I will pick you up!
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks for the heads-up on the storm patterns in the region - knew nothing about that. I'll put my plans into a more easy to follow format for when I try and get a permit.

Based on the advice proferred here I reckon I might spend (need or have to) more time on the trail and move my resupply options closer to trailheads; thanks all.

Ill be counting on that ride when hitching ;)
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks for all the advice.

Doing the Tahoe Rim Trail was a good idea - to dial my legs and lungs in.

Then about 15 days on a variant of the SHR, with a five-day stint on the JMT at the end.

Just about to fly back from Colorado having been to Wyoming and done the Wind Rivers High Route.

I know.....I have a few trip reports to write up.....

Approaching Bonneville Pass, Wind River Mountains