Gardiner Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CapnPaul
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Gardiner Basin?

Post by CapnPaul »

Hello HST Crew,

I'm a new forum user and longtime 'packer, and I have a question for you.

30 years ago I did a trip from Zumwalt Meadows > Junction Meadow > Rae Lakes > Baxter Lakes > Baxter Pass > Lone Pine. My group had transportation arrangements, so we were able to do it as a thru-hike. I would like to visit the Rae Lakes area again and take my new wife (also a solid 'packer), only this time it will have to be as a loop. I am considering 2 possible routes, and would like to hear your input and advice on them.

The first option is Zumwalt > Jct. Meadow > Bullfrog Lake > Rae Lakes > Castle Domes Meadow > Paradise Valley > Mist Falls > Zumwalt.

The other option is Zumwalt > Jct. Meadow > Bullfrog Lake > Rae Lakes > Gardiner Basin (via off trail pass due south of Mt. Cotter) > Gardiner Pass > Charlotte Lake > Jct. Meadow > Zumwalt.

I am attaching a map. Each color is one day. It's a pretty relaxed pace as I'm in no hurry, plus I like to have time each day to fish and explore. Has anyone been over that pass into Gardiner Basin? Do the Gardiner lakes have fish? Can you recommend one route over the other? I'd be doing it later in the season, like August/September, possibly as late as early October...

Any input is welcome. Thanks!
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CapnPaul
Topix Novice

Re: Gardiner Basin?

Post by CapnPaul »

BTW.... I just discovered that Bullfrog Lake is closed to camping, so I'll probably go to Charlotte unless someone has a better idea.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is not that far to the northwest (outlet) end of Lake 3321. In spite of the crowds at the lakes to the northeast, the outlet is usually empty. There are some really great campsites too. I just went off-trail north of the drainage and it was not bad. Kearsarge Lakes are a lot more scenic than Charlotte Lake, in my opinion. Fair fishing too.
CapnPaul
Topix Novice

Post by CapnPaul »

Wandering Daisy wrote:It is not that far to the northwest (outlet) end of Lake 3321. In spite of the crowds at the lakes to the northeast, the outlet is usually empty. There are some really great campsites too. I just went off-trail north of the drainage and it was not bad. Kearsarge Lakes are a lot more scenic than Charlotte Lake, in my opinion. Fair fishing too.
Daisy, thank you for the tip. :) Is this where you are referring to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Yes, that is it. The campsites are closer to the outlet stream. You can also camp at the next small lake down, but it is not as scenic.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to HST! Looking at your map, you indicate that you would like to stay at Mist Falls, according to SEKI NPS
you can only stay at a designated campsites in Lower Paradise Valley: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/r ... s-loop.htm
Agree that Kearsarge Lake is much more scenic then Charlotte Lake.

Like your Gardiner Basin route better since the highlights in that region are Gardiner, Sixty Lakes, and Rae Lakes Basin. No fish in
Sixty Lakes Basin, under 12" in Gardiner, try Dragon Lake for fishing in Rae Lakes Basin.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Zumwalt to Junction Meadow is about 10.5 miles and 3000 feet up. Most people in moderate physical condition tend to go as far as Charlotte Creek at 7.5 miles at 2300 feet up. From there most go to East Vidette Meadow at 5.5 miles and another 2200 feet up. And to continue on day 3 over Glen Pass is 2400 feet to reach the Rae Lakes areas.

An option on day two would be to continue up to the bench just southwest of the trail at 3140 that would be 6.5 miles and 3000 feet. That would make your following day only 1800 to get over Glen Pass. A place we camped at but where few others consider. Views from just above at the 3200 foot elevation south towards the canyon and East Vidette and Center Peak are impressive.
CapnPaul
Topix Novice

Post by CapnPaul »

SSSdave wrote:An option on day two would be to continue up to the bench just southwest of the trail at 3140 that would be 6.5 miles and 3000 feet. That would make your following day only 1800 to get over Glen Pass. A place we camped at but where few others consider. Views from just above at the 3200 foot elevation south towards the canyon and East Vidette and Center Peak are impressive.
Thank you for that, Dave. :thumbsup: :nod: Little gems of info like that are just what I am looking for. Please keep 'em coming! I really like the idea of setting up for Glen Pass like you suggest. My wife and I are both in excellent shape and have low pack base weights, but even so, the altitude will getcha when you live at sea level.
CapnPaul
Topix Novice

Post by CapnPaul »

Dave, is this the bench you're talking about?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

My strategy was to drive to Roads End (takes me 5.5 hrs) and go up to the Sphinx Creek camp (first legal campsite) the same day. Yes, it is a bit hot, but it is not far and the campsite is shady and I had plenty of time to relax. And although you gain some elevation, it is still fairly low, so altitude is not a severe problem. Next day I went over Glenn Pass and camped just above Rae Lake, because a huge storm was coming in and I found a good spot. Within minutes of setting up the tent, the skies opened! Had it not stormed I could have made it to Rae Lake. I then went into Gardiner Basin for two nights, back to 60 Lakes for one night. I took that off-trail (use-trail) short cut to Arrowhead Lake. Sorry, but cannot remember the name of that little pass. Then up to Window Peak Lake. Day hiked up to top and back to Castle Dome Meadow last night. Out next day. Many young folks go much faster than that (hey, I am on Medicare!). Everyone has different goals. Mine was to see a lot of country quickly. Yours may not be. And if you go off-trail, your speed will depend on your experience.

If it is later in the season, and you have done some recent trips to be acclimated, are in fair shape, and you keep your pack light (mine was under 30 pounds starting), I see no reason you cannot reach Rae Lake in 2 days, unless you simply WANT more time to gaze around and do side trips, or fish. It is a really good, well graded trail. The only part that is not in the best shape is near the top of Glenn Pass - more rocky.