Recommendations for Crossing the Silver Divide Off-Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendations for Crossing the Silver Divide Off-Trail

Post by acvdmlac »

Thanks, SweetSierra! Very helpful to have the route guidance. I appreciate your posts.
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by acvdmlac »

Anyone have any experience with Pace Col (Grinnell Pass) in a low-snow year like 2015? I read the HST info page which documents the snow on the north side, but in September of this year there probably won't be a flake anywhere...It looks like the sort of pass which is easier without snow but I know some are easier with...it looks like a more direct route from north to south over the Silver Divide than Shout-of-Relief and Bighorn.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

I've only done Pace Col south to north in early Sept. The route finding is straight forward. Without snow there is considerable talus on both sides, south more than north IIRC, but nothing unusual in a cross country Sierra pass. Interestingly enough, the crux of the route was the 30 to 40 ft above Red and White Lake where I gave up on finding a class 2 path and chose an easy class 3 ten feet or so.

-Scott
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

I posted some photos of a snow-free Pace Col crossing.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7726&p=95428#p95428